What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. lowii

Jeff,

I shall take some cuttings from it soon and firstly see what happens to the cuttings before sending any out. It is about 2 feet tall with 8 pitchers like the one shown. Jeff may be right about the environmental conditions having triggered the mutation, but it shows no sign of growing out yet. It's on a bench with a lot of other N. ampullarias which are normal.

Basals are just breaking, so we'll see what happens there.
smile.gif

Rob, if the plant is sitting right along w/ the other N.amp. and they are all ok. how could it be enviroment condtions if it is getting the same conditions as the rest.

might just be that something in it geans are cousing it to grow that way and it was just a flaw that happened when pollenated

Hey Borneo

It looks like it developed to trap mini vampire bats!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It looks like it developed to trap mini vampire bats![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Tim,

the only problem with that is that the Dracula vampira's bite for blood and if i am correct the N.amp. is known to be vegatarian.

I believe that sometimes a virus can trigger a mutation (such as variegated leaves. This can often grow out with time.

I like the vampire bat suggestion! If this clone ever gets named I'll bear that in mind! Professional taxonomists hate frivolous names which is why I like them so much
biggrin.gif
Charles Clarke once told me a story about an entomologist that discovered a new species of beetle that had a large black carapice which was turned up at the front. He published a paper and called it "something-or-other Darth Vaderii". I believe he was ostracised from the Academic community for such frivolity
tounge.gif

Back