What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something's not right

• Thread starter Andenes
  • Start date
While I was watering my plants today I noticed that some white stuff started to apear on my n. ventrata's pot.  
confused.gif
 What is this thing?

Its the white stuff on the bottom.

Sorry. Let me try that againg
biggrin.gif

Dcp_0636.jpg

Looks like a bit of fungual growth on the coco fiber. I suggest treating with a fungicide to get rid of it and prevent root infection.

either its fungus or hard water . more likely i think its hard water .

I've seen this stuff before on a chunk of coconut husk that I took from a coconut in my backyard, and I think that it's most likely some sort of fungus. It's probably living off of some nutrients that are still in the coco basket. I think that it's harmless, but keep an eye on it anyway. If it keeps spreading, treat it with a fungicide like nep g said.

jœl

On another note:

You might have trouble getting rid of it unless it dies off naturally, because the spores are embedded in the coco fiber. I've seen this fungus most commonly on overly wet and soggy orchid bark chunks. The only way I have had luck getting rid of it is scorching it with a propane torch, or any flame, and then treating with a fungicide. The intense heat destroys the fungus spores and the fungicide applied after finishes the job off. Good luck!

Back