What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Black Fungus on Nepenthes alata

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Ok, I have had two Nepenthes alata plants for about a week. The terrarium I have been keeping them in has high humidity, and I have been trying to keep the condensation down. However, I just noticed on a few leaves a black/dark brown fungus growing.

What are some recommendations for treatment? I have removed one of the badly infected leaves.

wow.gif

It could just be black soot fungus which is harmless and you can wipe it away with a damp paper towel. If it is fungus then treat with Cleary's 3336 available on this site.

Hopefully its harmless.

Here is a photo of the fungus I am having problems with. This is on a lower leaf. I do have other leaves with these spots. Some are on the top and others are on the underside of the leaves. There is also a small amount on the stem. I think I may have missed this when I brought the plants home.

nepenthesblackfungus.jpg

I keep double posting for some reason.

What about using chlorothalonil? I do have some of this.

Try wiping it off with just a damp papertowel. If it comes off and the plant tissue underneath looks healthy then it is just some mold growing on something on the leaf. Do the tops of the leaves where the spots are look ok??

Nepenthes often have globs of nectar under the leaves on the pitchers etc.. In very high humidity they can get moldy. Try decreasing the humidity as you have been and maybe increase air circulation inside the terrarium. Do you have any small fans in there?

On a side note (I don't think this is the problem but it is worth mentioning anyway) Some sucking insects exude sugar/nectar which can coat the leaves etc and again will also get moldy in high humidity.
Tony

Looks like black soot fungi. Try to wipe it off like Tony and I suggested and if it doesn't come off treat with Cleary's.

Back