What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Highland photos

Hi Josh,

very nice plants you grow!

BTW are you sure your N. hamata isn't a complex hybrid? Especially the shape of the lower part of the peristome differs slightly from what I would expect from a pure N. hamata. The shape of the peristome resembles those of some clones of N. tentaculata. Also the the biggest pitcher in front is slightly more bulbous than I would expect. The size of your plant exceeds the size Turnbull and Middleton mentioned in their type description considerably. (The picture of the lower pitchers in Flora Malesiana shows these differences quite well.)

Of course my impression might be due to the bigger variabilty of clones I don't know of, your growing conditions or the angle the pictures were taken.

Cheers

Joachim

I will say I do not know how you would grow the highlanders without the airflow (fan) and ultrasonic humidifier as when I started with highlanders I did not have these and my plants did not do as well as they are doing now. I get fans from 1" to 4" in size from Radio Shack they call them "PC fans" these can be a bit pricey from $5 to $20 each. Wal mart has a 7" diameter Oscilating fan for about $8 but it takes up a lot of space for a small terrarium and may be too powerful for a small space.

If you have a Wal Mart near you, they sell a digital battery operated hygrometer/thermometer combo for about $15 (in the hardware dept with the rain guages and other thermometers). They may not be scientifically accurate but they will obviously be better than nothing at all and at least give you an idea of what your temperatures and humidity levels are. and how they vary over a 24 hour period (highs and lows) I use them in all my growing chambers and find them plenty good enough.

Joachim, I do not know exactly if my hamata is a complex hybrid or not. It is from Tony Parobek so it is likely the plant is from either Rob or Andreas. Do you know anything out their clones of hamata like you did the clipeata? I know that my plant is already as large/larger than in Flora Malesiana and the latest pitcher was even bigger than the one shows in the photo (front). I'm not complaining though!
biggrin.gif

You're very observant! For the peristome shot I did indeed use a weird camera angle and it came out looking far squarer than if I would have taken the photo head on. I folded up the tripod and held it over my shoulder like a bazooka rifle and aimed the camera down into the peristome (using the folding ccd screen to see what I was doing).

To date all my N. hamata have come from Malesiana. They have at least 3 or 4 clones that I can distinguish.

I think the slighly odd shape is from the camera angle. Also appears to me, to be in lower pitcher mode still, which has a narrower pitcher opening.

Tony

Back