What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pictures of supermarket neps

I have put this post together for all the people that have a newly bought nep from some store and they dont know what it is:
                        N. "Judith Finn"
NxJudithFinnPitcher_small.jpg

Photo Coutesy Shawn's carnivorous plants
                        N. "Sanguinea"
nepenthes_sanguinea.jpg

Photo Courtesy of Rare Plants  
                   N. "Ventrata"
NxVentrataLowerPitcher_small.jpg

Photo Coutesy of Shawn's Carnivorous

Here are some photos of my N. ventrata and N. sanguinea.

I thought I would add the the photos above to help ID unknown plants.

nepenthes_alata_necterglands.jpg

Nepenthes ventrata purchased at Mejier.

nepenthes_alata_twob.jpg

View of the two plants after they were brought home. These were labled as N. alata, but after doing some research, the plants are N. ventrata.

N_ventrataLidOpening.jpg

Took this photo on March 15, 2003. This will be the first urn to actually develope since I purchased the plants in July of 2002. Although they did not pitcher, the plant has grown 3 times larger since purchase.

Nsanguinea25Days.jpg

Nepenthes sanguinea from Hyde's Stove House ( no longer selling Nepenthes
sad.gif
).

NepenthesSanUrn.jpg

Nepenthes sanguinea.

Nick,

Wow, at Meijers? The Meijers by me (MI) don't carry Nepenthes. Have you seen them there since your purchase?

Should I start stalking the local Meijers in hope of finding my own?

I did find large Nepenthes tobaica with multiple growth shoots for $7.95 at a local nursery.

Your plants look great congratulations.

Glenn

Glen,

What an amazing sentence about your Nepenthes purchase.
1) Finding a plant of N. tobaica at a local nursery
2) It was a large plant with more than one growth point
3) It was only $7.95

I am way jealous. Judith Finn's in this area are $12 on up, lol.

Joe

Joe,

I hate to rub it in but, the nursury is amazing. It is a huge greenhouse built in the 20's (very cool). In the winter they have all sorts of out of the ordinary tropicals and in the spring and summer they switch over to perrenials and annuals.

Oh yeah the place is called Goldner Walsh and it's in Pontiac Michigan.

Now that the cats out of the bag, there will probably be a run on the Nepenthes plants by the locals who read this forum.

Keep looking, if you can find large good looking Nepenthes at Meijer, you can find them anywhere.

I bought a $20 Nepenthus maxima at an orchid show this weekend and it was smaller than the tobaica!

Glenn

Back