What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ventrata

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
Well, my two N. ventrata plants have gotten too big for my growth chamber. Since I don't have another place to grow them, I decided to cut them back. I have been stalling on cutting them off because they are producing new pitchers for the first time in about 5 months. It was sad to see the undeveloped pitchers get tossed.

One nice thing is that the once that were not cut off are much larger than the first set the plant had on it when purchased. Although I am somewhat sad to have cut the plant, I will have many cuttings that will hopefully root over the next 3 months.

Thats sweet nick! I wish my Ventrata's would grow more, largest one is only 6 inches across,
Kevin

The leaves on my N. ventrata are 8-9 inches. The pitchers are currently just over 6" tall.

Here are the plants before I cut them back.

LargeNVentrata.jpg

In the lower right hand corner you can see a 3" pot of an unknown nepenthes. The N. ventrata are in 8 inch hanging pots.

that is massive! Mine are only like 3 inches tall, and producing 3 1/2 inch pitchers! Wow...........!

Very nice plants! You've done a wonderful job.

That a greaat nep. The unknow looks like a truncata just by looking at on leaf. But it is pretty blury I can't really see the whole plant.

Here is the little Nepenthes in the lower right corner.

NepenthesUnknownPlant.jpg

NepenthesUnknownUrn.jpg

If it will get more light it will have little red spots on it. I sort of looks like what I have. And I don't know what it is either. I posted a picture unknow nep you will find on the 2 or 3 page of the Nepenthes discussion. My nep have thorns growing onthere lids to. I think it is a hybrid. But the leafs on mine are different.
confused.gif

Nice greenhouse by the way. I have the same kind. I works great.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Here are two photos of the second new urn to form on the plant. This is the fattest urn yet to form.

N_ventrataUrn4-1-03Front.jpg

N_ventrataUrn4-1-03SideNew.jpg

Hey NickHubbell nice pics dude! By the way, what kind of nep does thet fat pitcher belong to? And also, My ventratas are alot different from yours: they produce lots and lots of pitchers!!
wow.gif
I don't know why but I love it!
tounge.gif
Anyways, the little nepenthes on the right looks alot like a truncata just like Phil said except that its leaves are alot longer than rounder
confused.gif
I'm guessing a x sanguinea or a x truncata?

Nick, if you got that little nep form Botanical wonders it is an N. ventricosa "red" I have found out.

Nep G, how do you know? Did someone tell you?
confused.gif

Phil I once had a mature specimen of it...unfortunately it froze and died..but I bought another one and it is on it's way to become another large plant. It was correctly identified as N. ventricosa 'red' by other people and myself. Also the company advertized it as N. ventricosa...no color form but it was indeed the red form.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (monkeyman @ April 04 2003,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nep G, how do you know? Did someone tell you?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I didn't post that up that was monkey man. I thought it was a N. Ventricosa also but I didn't think a N. Ventricosa red would have little thorns growing on it's lid. I almost always agree with you NepG.
biggrin.gif

Know I am positive that it is a N. Ventricosa because my N. Ventricosa "RED" Looks exactley like that. The lid and I just notice that it has thorns growing on the lid. Same eaf and everything. and it does grow rally fast. I got the plant from Franks Nursery.
biggrin.gif

Whoops sorry bout that Phil! Had a brain fade.
tounge.gif
Anyhow, it is still very young and it would be impossible to tell what it is...even if we knew what it was there is the chance for failing. Looks just like my ventricosa seedlings however. Good chance it is the same thing.

hey nick i have the same exact conatiner as ou do!!!

i got it from Big Lots for 20 dollers, i use it with the fence on the inside for the bototm, on the bottom shelf i put a heavy duty trash bag and put peatmoss/lfs and live sphagnum all over the bottom and its growing inside of it

there were 3 shelfs, the bottom, top and middle

i took the top off and have it on the bottom also with the other one, =/, the middle one is where i have my bical anbd truncata, the bottom i have some droseras, my ampullaria, and another raff, my mirabilis is growing to big for it, even with the top shelf off!

hey Nick, when the cuttings start to root do you think you could possible sell one?

Back