What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Picture to share

I just got this plant so can't take the credit for growing it yet..but I couldn't resist taking a picture.

N. diatas
diatas.jpg

WOW, that is such an awsome Nepenthes! I am adding that to my want list.
biggrin.gif

Hi Tony:

This is a small World. I wrote an e-mail to you not so long ago.
Like you, Your obssession is also mine. I wish to meet you in the not so distant future.

By the way, do you have a giant cephalotus picture from Germany that you could show us?..

Agustin Franco

Hi Tony,

nice plant! Is it a clone from an upper montane region? Mine has less teeth and I suppose it originates from a lower altitude showing some different characteristics.

N_diatas_1202.jpg

Joachim

Nice picture Joachim. Is that the clone from Andreas? The one I have pictured originates from the blangs (meadows) on G. Bandahara.
Tony

I'm walking now Tony. I'll be there in about 3 hours!
tounge.gif
I'm adding N. diatas to my wishlist now. Let's see how it will do this summer. It will be great seeing pitchers formed in your greenhouse! Hmmm...maybe I need a bigger memory card for my digital camera, I might run out of space for pictures next time I visit!
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ April 13 2003,2:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that the clone from Andreas?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hi Tony,

I don't know if this clone originates from Andreas. I had hoped you were able to tell it.
wink.gif
I got it as rooted cutting. It grows very slow for me with only about seven new leafes per year. From the number of leafes on the stem this plant is about four to five years old. Although its age it is still quit small with a diameter of about 10cm and pitchers being 5cm large.

Joachim

I thought twice about posting these photos since they contain text with the word "sale" but to remove the text every time I post photos from my site would be rather time consuming.  I hope the list owners and mods don't mind since I don't do retail sales to anyone on this list anyway and am not trying to advertise here.  If they do mind, please let me know and I'll desist!

These plants were raised in precisely the same environmental conditions.  The first photo is a plant originating from seed from the forest regions of Gng. Bandahara:

diatas_15cm.jpg

As you can see, the pitchers are rather small compared with the size of the leaf.  The insert is an enlargement of one of the pitchers from the same plant, so you can see the teeth.

This photo is of a plant originating from seed from the meadows (blangs) of the same mountain.  It's much more compact as you can see:

diatas_meadow_3inH.jpg

Both plants are still young and more differences may become apparent as they mature.  All the plants we have seen that have been raised from seed from these two areas exhibit the same general differences in form under identical growing conditions.  Rate of growth for each form is about the same.

BTW Joachim, according to your website the plant you have is from Heiko Reischer?  Perhaps he got it from Andreas.  I don't have Andreas' clone here to compare.  It's interesting to note that your plant grows rather slowly.  I know your conditions are very good so that's rather surprising since ours grow relatively quickly.  Maybe just the characterstics of that particular clone or maybe it's from a different area.

Rob,

I think you are probably safe, as you only sell to the retailers and not the public, much to the sorrow of many of us, lol.
Are the pitchers roughly the same size, even though one plant is half the diameter of the other location? The larger plant has small pitchers in comparison witht he smaller plant, and calculating in my head, it seemed they would be of similar size.
Are both locations going to be available? I like them both!
I think my favorite pic from your retail section(again for wholesalers only) is the N. mikei.
BTW, I received clone 99 of the giant N. rafflesiana yesterday, through Tony(thanks again to both of you). Looks great.
I saw "O'Sheas Great Adventure" last week, where he was trying to catch local Russel's vipers for anti-venom, in Sri Lanka. I keep looking for that cameo of Rob sprinting by witha snake dangling from his nose while trying to outrun a water moniter, but it has yet to happen.

Regards,

Joe

Yes Joe, both forms are available now.  I would say that the pitchers on the 6" dia. plant are approximately the same overall size as those on the 3" dia. plant but not being in the highland nursery right now I can't check.  The shape of the pitchers is different though.  The forest form produces longer pitchers, more like the one shown in Joachim's photo and the meadow form produces squatter pitchers.  I do wonder if the differences are sufficient for them to be distinct subspecies but that's one for the taxonomists to argue over.  I guess it would depend on the flower structure and other factors.

We see snakes here practically every day.  I saw one yesterday swimming through an irrigation ditch whilst out running.  They are usually harmless rat snakes or very occasionally cobras or small vipers.  Having a Russell's viper hanging off one's nose sure would make one run faster
biggrin.gif
  They are exceptionally dangerous but fortunately don't come from around this part of the country  
smile.gif

There's a small 1.5m (4 foot) monitor lizard living in the garden and he's quite tame and curious.  I hope he never gets in the nurseries and onto the benches though.  When they decide to run, anythig in the way gets pushed over!

Hey Rob,

No worry about the pics
smile.gif

The whole sale thing really has been beaten to death and there is rarely a time when anyone feels it's necessary to even speak up about it.

So have at the pic sharing
smile.gif

Thanks Phil. I guess the subject has probably been discussed on all the other parts of this forum too.

What type of nepenthes is the diatas? highland or lowland?
confused.gif

That is a sweet plant. Know I want one so badly just like a Cephalotus.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Hi,

finally I got the time to take a new picture of my N. diatas:

N_diatas_0403_A.jpg

The length of the tendrils compared to the size of the pitchers might be unusual for N. diatas and also is quite different from your plants. Also the size of the pitchers didn't increase by much in the last year. With 5.5cm they are much smaller than what I would expect from the type description.

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

As you will know, type descriptions are very often not true to form.  Nost species of Nepenthes are so variable that a botanist who only has lmited time in the area may not collect a specimen that conforms to the norm for that species.

I'm at my highland nursery at the moment and just showed the photo of your plant to our highland nursery manager and she considers your plant is very probably N. diatas.  She is field-experienced in Sumatra as well as being a horticulturist.   I myself am not very knwledgeable about Sumatran Nepenthes, so I wuold take her word for it.  If I have time tomorrow I shall take some photos of a group of several forest N. diatas and several of the meadow form which may give more perspective.

Hi Rob,

many thanks for your help! I hope the plant will stay that small, so I can grow it for many years in my terrarium without any size problems.
smile.gif

Joachim

Oh shoot!
sad.gif
I wanted one...what are the conditions for a highland nepenthes?
confused.gif

Back