What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Makeshift terrarium...

I have not an inch of room left in frot of my window, or in my terrarium... I can put plants on my dresser perhaps, if I get something to put my plants in... My dresser is across the room from my window, its a master bedroom, so i guess about....... twelve feet from a big west facing window. i THINK that setting sun shines through, but obviously not for long... I can get a grocery store "plant light" that is blue, to screw into a desklamp, but other than that, i have not clue for what i can do about my new Nepenthes mirabilis. I havent sent the money yet, so i'm not getting it for a while.

Any suggestions for this area i have chosen? Anywhere else in my house is risky, because i own a brother. He has friends, and lets just say they are pre-juvenile, but still deliquints. Hellraisers. Hellions. Rugrats. Devil's Retinue... Anyway, we understand, correct??? I have zero cash, so buying an aquarium is not quite possible for the time being... I DID however GET A JOB AT A NURSERY/CRAFT STORE SO I CAN GET ANY KIND OF SUPPLIES I NEED ONCE I START THERE!!!! CONGRADULATIONS ME FOR FINDING MY FIRST JOB, AND IT DOES NOT INVOLVE SCRAPING GREASE!!!!!!!!! Yes, anyhow... I'm open for temperary suggestions from anyone...

Thanks for the help...

Your right about the lighting problem. I would suggest a 2 bulb fluorescent fixture. A blue colored incandescent is a poor substitute. The plant can go into just about anything that will hold humidity and let in light. Perhaps something in your terrarium that can take dryer air can come out to make room for the N. mirabils?
Tony

I've built my many make-shift terrarium. All they are is a wooden frame with serran wrap as the glass. They work very well for me.

Tony, Like i said, right now, its just temporary. I cant just go out and buy a whole new lighting thing for in my bedroom... Thanks thouhg, when i get my cash i'll look toward that... And a new place to put my plants...

You know those white plant stands, with clear plastic draped over the sides?
confused.gif
? Do those things keep enough humididyt? There are lights on the bottom of every shelf...

Tristan, GENIUSE. Wut CAN"T seran wrap do?!?!?
I"ll do that. I dont know what i'll use for a fram, i may build one, but that is really smart replacement for glass...

Those plant stands should do fine. I would look for one that has 4 bulbs lighting each shelf. Yes if it were covered in plastic it would hold humidity fine. You would also want to keep an eye on temperatures as heat generated by the lights and ballasts might raise it too high if you have cool growing plants.

You may find that the need for a total plastic wrap is less necessary. When you have a fair number of plants all growing together like that, you get a sort of microenvironment around the plants. Covering the sides and back might be plenty to keep the humidity at sufficient levels around the plants, and allow excess heat to escape.

If your crafty you might also be able to build a lighted shelf system with stuff from the home improvement store for ...

Tony

I'm valentines/christmas crafty, not father's day crafty...

I cant build.
sad.gif

Here's a thought:

Go to home depot (or the like) and get 5 squares of plexy glass cut (they cut them for free), like 12x12, then using clear packing tape, tape the four pieces together into a bottomless cube, use the fifth as a lid. But keep it a little offset for ventilation.

I just made (today infact) something similar out of glass to replace a 10" glass goldfish bowl that didn't have enough air circulation. Got home depot to cut the glass, then i copper foiled and soldered it. Plan on putting rocks in the tray with water for humidy... Made it for about &#3614... though i aleady owned a soldering iron, and had solder and foil left from past projects (wink)

newtank.jpg

I know many would argue that a full spectrum incadescent in a desk lamp as a poor light source , but it suppliments natural filtered light and offers a bit of heat... my house is coooold.

cheers!

-Lia

whipersiren's setup works just fine but try replacing the three sides opposite the light with something reflective like cardboard and tinfoil or the like. Sure it wouldn't look nearly as nice but it would be cheaper than plexiglass.

oooh that's a good idea, Gafato: you can get reflective heater insulation at OSH or HD, which is essentially stiff bubblewrap coated with reflective coating. It's cheap. &#362 for 3'x1' (grin)

Home Depot people are supposedly educated right?

If I ask for the materials for a cheap glass box, with a some reflecting surfaces, they'll help right?

They cant gyp me, kuz i've already read your stuff, so it wont be like they'll be selling me titanim reflective surfaces, and pollished crystal windows, with galena solder...

(Edited by whispersiren at 4:11 pm on April 28, 2002)

Uh well, the guy who cut my glass broke the corners off the first two before having success... he was still "training" on the cutting device. I was highly entertained though. (big grin)

Oh hey I just had an even better idea for a makeshift terrarium.... what about a bell jar or cloche???
cloche.jpg

I don't see why one wouldn't work indoors too? Some are glass, whereas you can get new ones made out of plastic that have a small adjustable vent. Your could then sit the plant on a saucer of rocks with water for humidity. The cost is fairly cheap, most places will sell you a set of 2 or 3 for under &#3635.

Here's a couple links:
http://www.gardeners.com/sell.asp?ProdGroupID=13025
http://www.territorialseed.com/testcat....13.html

I tried to use a cloche for a while b4 i got my terrarium but I found that it doesn't work very well. It is usually too humid and my plants succumbed to rot in a matter of days. Anyway, if you want to spend 35 bucks go by some small aquarium kit from a wal-mart for that. Usually they come with a small light but you can (and should) supplement that :biggrin:

Back