What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name that Plant

unknownclown

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!!
Hello I have these 2 neps that are the same at least they look like it and I got them from the same place at the same time but any way I havent a clue what they are the guy at the store pointed me twards the plant book when I asked which was totally rediculous since it didnt even have Neps listed. Im sure it was pay back for me giving him and another guy some apparently rediculous advice on how they need to go outta thier way to get special water for them and quit putting those fertilizer bally things on the soil
wow.gif
oh well

any way here are some pics I dont know if it is possible to identify but who knows it could be fun to try
biggrin.gif

11772765-0499-01800200-.jpg

11772968-cc68-01800200-.jpg

I think they have some fusca in them....... Look at the lid... Maybe veitchi? I dunno...
confused.gif

I have one of those too. Mine was sold as a N. X "Coccinea" but is certainly not when you look at any hybrids with "Coccinea" like features. I believe it is a Nepenthes X "Mixta" hybrid between N. northiana & N. maxima.
It grows well outside in bright shade but unless you are in a very humid area the pitchers will not develop (like most neps). It's said that the pitchers of Mixta will get a foot long (mine were the size of yours in the photos but due to the humidity fluctuations they have mostly all dessicated and new leafs are burning. I will move mine inside and into a lowland grow chamber at the end of august cos I know it'll do just fine there.

Good luck with yours!

BTW there's a photo of Mixta in the Savage Garden book by Peter D'Amato. http://www.californiacarnivores.com (I hope nobody minds that link too much just wanna let the guy know where he can get the book)

Oh duh me...

Yeah, not the nails...
confused.gif

Sorry! (re: swords' last line, in parentheses)

Looks like another Mixta to me as well.

This is just a general comment for folks that are trying to ID unknown plants.

Please label your plants as ID uncertain, possible Mixta. Or something like that. This way if the plant ID is incorrect it won't get spread around as something it isn't.
Tony

Oh trust me Tony
smile.gif
this will always be an unknownata x clownacosa x plantii
wink.gif
this is just prety much for fun  
biggrin.gif

ugh!!! ok Im gonna ask Jeff or Phil to change my name no offense I totally understand but getting mistaken for a guy all the time is getting a bit old heck thats twice in one day.

How about Jerry?
That plant looks like a Jerry to me!
wink.gif

LOL I crack me up!

AH HAHA

Joel

You guys are all comedians!
tounge.gif
Oh well, yeah Shelly, it does look like a Mixta. But do what Tony said.

Joel... Ummm... *Pats Back*
Come with me for a bit... I know someone...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mindmaze128 @ Aug. 04 2002,03:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How about Jerry?
That plant looks like a Jerry to me!
wink.gif

LOL I crack me up!

AH HAHA

Joel[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
lol

haha thanks Joel
smile.gif

um what sorta temps could it take? could it handle highland temps? 70-80F days and 50F nights? if so that means I can keep it outside here.

ok I just checked out a mixta pic I dont think thats it
sad.gif
heres a pic I hope its ok to use
confused.gif

nhybr07.jpg

If you look my pitcher is longer hm..oh well
confused.gif

What exactly is a mixta anyway Ive been tryin to check it out and cant find a darn thing
confused.gif

Looks like Nepenthes Homicus Depoticus to me... looks almost exactly like the ones I have...

Where did you get it clownette?
smile.gif
N. HOmicus Depoticus comes from Gublers, and is an unidentified hybrid. (Gublers doesn't even know what their cloning... which, is kinda stupid considering the number of named hybrids out there that are easy to grow that they could introduce into culture...)

That is possible also.. one of the gublers hybrids is maxima something something.

T

N. x mixta is N. northiana x N. maxima

It could still be that plant, the ones I saw at ABG were more elongated than the one in that picture

(BTW, it is alright to use that pic, Barry does not mind so long as his credits appear
smile.gif
)

Cool thanks everybody
smile.gif

Sorry Ram I forgot to answer your question. I got it from a local Fred Meyers here. And actually youll be able to see one close up since Im sendin Phil and Jeff one.
There was no mention of a grower/ nursery on the plant
confused.gif

Back