What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on my rajah

that was the first time i actually feed the Rajah due to it still being small. i usally go for the looks until they get bigger then i usally drop a bug into the pitcher when they first open.

Schloaty, the smilies are from a diff forum so i really don't want to say where i got them so they don't get over used in here.

Here are the picture Griffin and everyone else.
smile.gif

Photo courtesy of Tamlin Dawnstar.

Nepenthes%20004.jpg

Picture%20601.jpg

Plant. (7 inches across)

N.G.,
what do you got for lighting and how far do you keep it from the light? the one i got has red in it but nothing like yours. it actaully has more green to the bottom of the pitcher
and is slowly turning a red color

A beautiful raja you got there
smile.gif

George, I use 1 2 tube 2 ft long flurescent fixture, but mine also is in a south window in the terrarium and gets lots of natural full sunlight so the red most liekly is intensified by both light sources.

Nate, thanks! Most everyone that sees it says it is a beauty Rajah.

NG,

I must admit I am suprised. That plant looks very healthy, and I would not change anything at this point. Do you grow all your highlanders in live sphagnum?

Regards,

Joe

Hi Joe, most of my highlanders are in living sphagnum but the newest ones I get I put in regular long fiber moss then adapt them to pure living moss. Here's my Hamata growing in pure living sphagnum. Sorry for the large pictures too.

Photo courtesy of Tamlin Dawnstar.
Nepenthes%20006.jpg

N.G., well that makes alot of sent with the darker coloration. i should move mine out of the bathroom sometime soon then. there is a window in there but, its the defused kind where ya can't see threw. so not to much sun light comes from it.

actaully with the hamata being that big of a picture brings up another question. how sharp are thoughts fangs points or are they just like the pitcher paper thin and easy to break

George, do you grow your hamata on an open (no extra humidity) widowsill, or do you grow it in a terrarium or with a plastic bag over it?

Hi,

N. hamata does grow in mossy forest in the wild, so it is no surprise it does grow best in Sphagnum. Andreas wrote he had big trouble rooting N. hamata last year. They only started to root well after placing the seedlings out of TC in a compost with a high percentage of Sphagnum.

Dustin, was this N. hamata pitcher grown under your conditions or is it still one which the plant already had when getting it from Tony?

Joachim

HI George, the spines are not very strong but they are sharp. The peristome feels like a row of knive blades when you run your finger across it.

Joachim, the pitcher was formed in Tony's greenhouse, but I have a nice pitcher coming and will post a picture once it opens fully (of course it won't be colorful b/c it will be brand new) but it will be "my" pitcher.
smile.gif
BTW, the pitcher pictured is 4 inches tall.
wink.gif

Nathaniel, i do not own one yet. so i can't answer that question.

N.g., thanks for the info

Oh, you must have been talking about your raja then. My bad
smile.gif

Nathaniel, the way i grow my highlands are from 8am-12pm they sit on a counter under a 4' flor. light and right next to a ultrasonic humidifier that makes the surrounding area 90-95% humid. from 12pm-8am i put them in a zip lock bag and place them into a mini frig. that has temps that are around 50-55 degress.during the day the temps are what ever the room temp is. it has been anywhere from 75-85 degress.

Heh, NOW you put them in the MINI fridge. But soon you won't be. You'll need an extra large fridge! lol

no, i already got a huge tank that i built to put them in just have to get off my lazy butt and put the cool part onto it and finish it. then i wouldn't even have to both with them exsept to fill the humidifier. the tank is big enough for me to fit in so they will have plenty of room to grow for a long time.

Back