What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growth rates of n. campanulata & n. clipeata

Hi Folks,

I've had these two since about May or so and they seem to be growing very slowly. The clipeata put out plenty of leaves and juvenile pitchers but it doesn't seem to be increasing in real size.
The N. campanulata has put out two or 3 leaves since may and is making it's first pitcher now, very slow going.

I have been growing these in my ultra lowland chamber with plenty of bright light (12" below 240W), high temps (70-75*F nights and 85-95*F days), humidity of 80%+ at all times. The other May arrivals (including the highlanders) have surpassed these two by several leaves and some by quite a few leaves (in the case of N. singalana).

I am just wondering for those of you who have grown a campanulata or clipeata from the "standard size 2" (2.5 cm) plants can tell me what environment you kept them in? Lowland is my guess from their habitat descriptions but their very slow growth is causing me some concern. Also if you could compare their growth rate to another nep that may be helpful.

Thanks for any thoughts!  
smile.gif

I've grown both of these for years. N. clipeata can be slow at
first, but should pick up speed if you feed it. It does not like
really high temps, however, at least in my experience.
N. campanulata is pretty fast, really. It can grow to maturity in
a year or so.

Truthfully, I think you are being a bit impatient. It sometimes takes plants several months to get adjusted to their new environs and begin growing well. Give it a few months more and I bet you'll see some significant new growth.

Can't say I have timed them in any way.. but from general observation I would say:

N. clipeata takes a while to get going in my greenhouse. I think it prefers warm days with a reasonable drop in night temperature. It is not a fast growing plant but seems to respond well to feeding as Jeff mentions.

N. campanulata grows fairly fast for me. It however dislikes shipping and gets hit hard from overseas travel. If you got yours direct or from someone that reshipped right after importing then I am not surprised if it has only just now started to settle in.

Tony

OK, sounds like I maybe did a good thing then moving them into the more "intermediate" chamber. You both mention cooler nights. It doesn't get chilled at night but it is less hot during the day and not as warm as the other at night high of 70*F at the most after the lights go out in summer. humidity is good in there and theres a 400W MH for lighting so hopefully they will do a little better.

I was just curious because they came with a batch of quite a few other plants from the same place (imported from overseas) but the others have seemed to have settled in and performed quite well already with nice new pitchers but these two seem extremely stunned.

Now that I have thought about it the N. campanulata did arrive with no root system (as many rare plants from this fellow seem to arrive that way) so it's not so shocking that one is taking so long. But the N. clipeata hasn't made any leaves bigger than 2.5 cm each (they are round) but the pitchers are only 2 cm and too thin at the mouth to feed.

I guess I'l just have to "ignore" these guys for a while longer.
smile.gif

Yep, I agree with both Tony and Neps.
First N. campanulata. I grow 2 specimens outdoors as highlanders that I've had for over a year and 1 as a lowlander windowsill plant. Both have been slow to adjust to ANY conditions. Don't know why. My two outdoor guys are doing fine but are not substantially large plants. I believe campan. is a relative diminutive species. My inside guy flowered but is taking his time, yes it's a male, pitchering up. However it is alive and well. So what Tony and Neps say about slow growth and adjustment period are dead on accurate. Don't sweat it. If it hasn't curled up, turned black and perished yet, it will probably make it.
2nd N.clipeata. I have two of them outdoors as highlanders. One is quite smaller than the other only because that's the size when I purchased them. Clip isn't a fast grower compared to my other guys. My biggest guy has just thrown out a noticeably larger leaf than the rest of the plant. I've had the big guy over a year. My little guy is taking his time. Once again, N. clip appears a hardy plant, but takes his time getting to maturity.
So good growin' both species!

I will add that I got quite a few campanulata that were double- shipped, as Tony mentioned, and did not pull though. they just turned black within a week of getting them.
Hopefully within five years they will be so common that the ICPS will have lots of seed, lol. I am surprised that the TC people don't hop on this one for those 3" covered pot set-ups, as it is smaller than the plants they do TC for mass-production.
This Summer, I have found a Nepenthes twice in the floral section of local Supermarkets with the $5.99 house plants. I bought them both times, but I can't tell yet if they are a a pale ventricosa or ventrata.

Regards,

Joe

Where is it you live "Neps Around the house" that you can have such a nice collection outdoors without hassle?
I can't get anything but sarracenias to pitcher outside here in south/central Minnesota. Some of my hardier Neps will grow but never pitchers outside even with daily watering and misting. I'm terrarium bound for now.

I think he lives in Southern California, if I remember right-probably coastal for the mild, humid temperatures.
Swords, I have a similar deal in Nebraska. I tried a ventrata and got one malformed pitcher after months. Then we got a early snowstorm one night and that killed it, lol.

Joe

Back