What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New additions

• Thread starter Cindy
  • Start date

Cindy

Staff member
I have 6 new additions to my nep corner...
biggrin.gif

N.truncata
N.rafflesiana
N.bicalcurata
N.albomarginata
N.alata
N.rewardtiana

Are they comparable with n.gracilis, n.ampullaria and n.mirabilis? These 3 grows comfortably at my windowsill.

Hi Cindy,
I'm having great luck with my Truncata and my Bicalcurata.

Truncata: Fairly humid (around 75-80 percent), warm all the time (80 to 90 degrees) under four flourescent bulbs. I actually forget what medium I have it in....I think it's in pure LFS, but I'll check when I get home.
confused.gif
I keep the medium moist, but not soggy. It is a slow grower for a lowlander, but oh-so-gratifying when it pitchers.

Bical: Very humid (close to 100%), very hot (over 90) under four flourescents. Soil is 1:1:1:1:1 (well, I mixed it by eye, this ratio was my goal) of pete/LFS/perlite/orchid bark/charcol. I don't think I need all that stuff, but I was so low on soil mediums I couldn't fill the pot without mixing all that stuff. Turns out the plant is really happy. I keep it on the tray method, but I allow all the water to evaporate before adding more. I also only put about 1/4 inch of water in the tray. It seems to like it really soggy. I have it in with my Ampularia and Mirabilis (both of which started doing well as soon as I put them in these conditions).

I hope that helps.
biggrin.gif

My new neps are N. Maxima and a N. Madgasc.... can't spell it yet, A N. Khasiana and a N.Maxima x Mixta another Sanguinea and a VEntrata and aVEntricosa. I am going to get a amp soon can't wait.
biggrin.gif

My N. Raf is in LFS w/ some orchid bark, bright aritificial light, room temperature(75), watered 1-2 a week, 75-80% humidity. Grows like a weed.

My raf, ventricosa, and P. moranensis grow in a tank under lights and with foil on 3 sides. temp is 70*-80*, they LOVE it, sooo happy, wappy, dappy, slappy SLAP ME PLEASE
confused.gif

My lowland plants grow in a 2tier mini greenhouse, with temp 81 and humdidty at 83%. My highland tank is 35 gallons and the temps in there are 76.3 with the humdidty at 81%. Foi all over the place.
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

My truncata is dying!!! While removing a dead leaf just now, I noticed that the base of the stem has turned brown and is rotting away...
sad.gif
This is my first truncata...
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

truncata.jpg

Anyone knows how to save it? Tissue culture???

I got it online so the nursery will not replace it immediately but credit to my next order.
confused.gif

ARG! That stinks! You could try clipping off the rotted part and treating it as a cutting...That might work
confused.gif

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have 6 new additions to my nep corner...

N.truncata
N.rafflesiana
N.bicalcurata
N.albomarginata
N.alata
N.rewardtiana

Are they comparable with n.gracilis, n.ampullaria and n.mirabilis? These 3 grows comfortably at my windowsill.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Cindy,
all of them should grow in the same conditions as the ones you mentioned but, as growth pattern as the other ones you mentioned they are totally diff. like N.bicalcarata(you missed spelled) is a water hog and will need lots of water in a tray metahod. N.rafflesiana i also keep it on the tray metahod. the rest of them. i just water when the soil mix dries out a little.
as for the baby N.truncata. you can try making a cutting from what is left that hasn't turned black but, i don't think there is enough there to do so. Nepenthes are tuff and can go threw alot so it is worth a try.
good luck

Back