What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major score! went to store to get light...

I'm setting up a new shelf for neps and am using four 48" fluorescent tubes for light. One of the tubes was noticably dimmer than the rest, so I went to the store to pick up a fancier tube to replace it. It's a typical San Francisco hydroponics/orchid type of place that often has kinda meek looking vfts, a few drosera, and a few way overpriced nepenthes, usually N. maximas or x ventratas.

This time, in the back was about 40 Nepenthes, all rooted cuttings varrying from 4" to 18" tall, all in kinda rough shape, but healthy. And they were all cheap! Apparently some guy came through and unloaded them all on them. For less than 20 bucks, I walked away with a N. x "Ille de France", a N x "Manny Herrera", and a N. x Koto "efflugent"! Woohooo! The "Ille de France" was number one on my "want" list, and I couldn't believe it was there. It has no pitchers, but looks to be growing nicely.

I'm thinking I should go back for some more. They had some nice, large ventratas, and some labled "N. alata x ventricosa". Is there a difference which parent is which for a ventrata?

Capslock <-- Out of control. Does not need more neps.

Congratulations!  That's one of the best deals I've ever heard of.  I don't know anywhere around here that ever gets any shipments of any neps in, much less interesting ones and unloads them cheap.  Seriously, if I see a lowland I don't have around here I'll buy it just to let them know there is a market.  No pitchers?  Fine.             

I think ventrata is alata x ventricosa, same thing. I think I have two ventrata. How's that for certitude?

Mine like light and bugs.  Our mean temp in August was around 81.  We got a lot of rain.  The highs rarely broke 90, and not by much.  The humidity has been between 50 - 100%, tending towards the high side.  Mine have lots of shade, wind protection, and some extra humidity.  Under those conditions, one grew so fast I think it is planning on leaving it's root system.

Beagle,

The wierd thing is that there were ones labeled as N. x ventrata, and others labeled as N. alata x ventricosa. I thought maybe if the male parent was alata, it was different than if it was the female that was alata. In any case, I'm thinking I might make cuttings out of the one I bought today as I think I could make about six of them from the vine.

In any case, it got worse. I went back and bought more, including the above-mentioned alata x ventricosa. I also picked up a nice maxima that is from a rooted cutting of what looks like a branch of a tree. And I picked up a N. x petra giant, and I don't even know what that is! I figure if it's called "petra giant" it's got to be cool. Yes, I am out of control.

Capslock

ventrata is a shorthand way of writing ventricosa x alata. Pollen parent is alata. With alata x ventricosa the pollen parent is ventricosa.

Here is what has happened to my ventratas since I got them when they looked a bit under the weather.  
vtp.jpg

The upper right is an old big pitcher for comparison.  All the ones on the left are new.

wow beagle, that is beutiful!

Thanks. Even-for-Florida-lucky weather, good foresty back yard, soil (I think you can get away with some variations on soil if everything else is right), northern exposure, the resulting shade from the house, pergola, other plants, hot tub steam (forgot that), watering the other plants and plant beds around the neps, etc...

I've been very lucky so far. Mostly I've found that lowland neps need more light when I get them. Right up until the leaves brown and die. It's a fine line. It helps if you can sit and babysit the area you are going to put them in for an entire day to get the lay of the sunshine.

Those two big ventrata needed room to spread out also. They were poised to get very big if the conditions were good. There were several existing large growths waiting for some shoulder room. I got those for $12.50 each. My best deal EVER on neps.
biggrin.gif

Fantastic ventrata Beagle! How long have you had them? Do they live outside over the winter in Florida? I'm trying to grow a N. maxima outside here in San Francisco, but it gets kinda chilly over the winter (rarely touches freezing, though).

Capslock

Capslock,

Beginners luck so far, I haven't wintered the plants.

I've had those ventrata as long as any large neps I've had, a few months. I bought a Rafflesiana from Exotic Gardens to start out. It's outside now, growing much better than it was in it's terrarium a couple weeks ago -- freeing up room for little pincagula primulifora.

I plan on covering my seriously-connected-to-the-outside ventrata with plastic, blankets, or sheets when the temps or humidity get low. If it just gets somewhat cold, I can probably leave it outside covered. If it gets really cold I plan on tearing the one that is vining up the pergola loose, sob, and putting it in a plastic greenhouse (new, on order), or in the bathroom. If necessary I guess I'll take hot water out to the greenhouse or grow racks (new, on order) and steam the neps up. I've got some new and 'spensive amupllaria and space considerations to think about.

From what I understand, even 60 is not a happy temperature for lowlanders if combined with low humidity. Perhaps some expert types could come clarify that one. I've heard 40, 50, and 60 as temps to start worrying. I guess that means I'll worry at 60 since I won't have time to Yahoo parks in the Pacific.

Nep people just make me feel justified in my recent obs...eh, hobby. Thanks.
tounge.gif

As rampuppy once said a few months back... "drool... feel free to use the puddle of drool collecting around my feet to water your ever-lasting supply of nepenthes"
biggrin.gif
Great Nepenthes capslock!
My nepenthes don't look too well... They dont seem to like oklahoma that much... I'm going to have to get a growchamber next near...
sad.gif

Talk about something you cannot take credit for.

Today the temp is about 80 the humidity is 100%. It looks like it will get warmer and dryer, but not any time right away.

Thank you, thank you. I planned it that way.
confused.gif

If there is one thing I've learned it's that the humidity and light really matter. Right now, except for placement and misting, nature is really being helpful.

It's possible this time of year for the temps to "plunge" into the high 60s or below. It could get dry. Meanwhile, it's drizzling and feels like Sumatra.

Lucky, or whatever, I love the fact I can grow these things right now.  Whatever happens down the road, at least I've learned tons.    

I've been trying and trying to get a picture to focus.  Yes, photography is not a strong suit.  I really wanted a side view of that pitcher display.    

This picture gives you an idea of the variability of the pitchers on the ventrata.  My arm signifies one way to estimate .8 of a meter to the plant.  Photography can be hard, FYI.  If you think it is easy, please post something.  

That basket is 16" in diameter for comparison.  
vtpfive.jpg

The second pitcher from the right is very fat-bellied.  That is something you may or may not be able to notice right away.  I think the pitchers are fattening up generally.  Well, except the more elongated ones.  That always throws me in the ID process, variability within a particular plant, before you even get to the issue of species, cultivar, whatever.

Very healthy ventrata you've got there, Beagle, nice picture!

Back