What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes ID help

trashcan

O:-)
I stopped by a local garden shop that sometimes has N.alata on the way home, and I found this amazing Nepenthes:

n_unknown.jpg

I'm now trying to identify it so I can take care of it properly. I'm thinking that it might possibly be N. fusca. Here are some links to pictures that look just like mine: (1) (2)

What does everyone think?

Patrick

Well my browser managed to use the auto-fill out the topic, (after I typed it in correctly) :-/. This post has nothing to do with Nepenthes hirsuta. Oh well.

Moderators: Please edit the topic to something more appropriate if you have time. Thanks.
Patrick

(Edited by trashcan at 9
wow.gif
0 pm on April 11, 2002)

hmm not fusca... the lid is too wide, and the end of the leaf is not the right shape.  I will have to ponder this one and look at some pics.  Right now off the top of my head it looks like maxima x alata
Tony

Nope not maxima x alata which you can see here: <a href="http://www.uq.net.au/intaac/ExoticaPlants/h72.htm

Have" target="_blank">http://www.uq.net.au/intaac/ExoticaPlants/h72.htm

Have</a> to do some more thinking... fusca x something

(Edited by Tony Paroubek at 11:41 am on April 11, 2002)

Could it not be Rafflesiana 'Elongated' ?

That is kind of what it looks like to me. But I am by far, not the Nepenthes expert
smile.gif

yea it looked like a Rafflesiana upper pitcher to me too

Would it be helpful if I included a picture of the leaf also?

Patrick

Leaf and plant pictures would help.
Tony

Plant picture

Peristome closeup

Leaf picture

Stem picture (?)

Profile of the pitcher (showing tendril attachment)

Original picture (full size)

Hope that helps. Click on the picture if you need to see the high(er) res (1024x768) original.

Patrick

Looks like upper Rafflesiana pitchers to me too.

Looks like some rafflesiana in it.. but deffinately a complex hybrid
T

How about this?

nep-max2.jpg
n_pitcher_thm.jpg

(from Malesiana Tropicals)

In this picture you can't see tha the sides of mine are colored quite heavily, and the fringes in the front.

I propose that it could be a poorly colored lowland N.maxima. Hmm.. Actually looking at it.. the maxima looks like it has a bit more volume to the pitcher. Oh well. Any other opinions?

Patrick

Sorry the pics have been deleted off my old server... but I would like to add one horribly important detail that somehow got left out. The plant has short red hairs under the leaves. I'm not sure how I managed to forget that... The plant has developed two new leaves since it recovered from its new environs. The newest one is much larger than the previous ones, and may form its first pitcher under my care (hopefully&#33
wink.gif

Pat

(if anyone wants to look at it again, I can take more pics)

I can't see didily
sad.gif

Back