What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes pitcher?

All I know is that the lower pitcher is more beautiful than the upper and for sometime the lower pitcher was once called the upper pitcher (Am I right ?) But where do you draw the line between the upper and lower pitcher?

that is not neccisarily true. sometimes the upper pitchers are more beautiful the the lowers, depends on the species and the grower (some growers like upper pitchers more). I don't think lowers were once called uppers. The main difference between upper and lower pitchers is that lower pitchers are produced ont he rosette part of the plant and upper pitchers are produced on the climbing vine of the plant.
smile.gif

Thanks for the info and excuse my ignorance on this matter. So does it mean that Nep species that does not climb at all only have lower pitchers? or should I say just pitcher as its not logical to call it a lower pitcher when we dont expect an upper pitcher after all? Just a thought ...

Hi greenslime, welcome to the forums.
I see in your other post that you have some excellent pics of Neps in the Philippines. I am hoping to get there some time to have a look at them for myself.
You are from the Philippines?

The Jade Vine is also from there, I love that plant.

Upper and lower pitchers in some species can be so different that they look like a completely different species and yet  other species can have uppers and lowers that look almost exactly the same. To confuse things more, some species also produce intermediate pitchers which look half way between uppers and lowers.
Whether a pitcher is more beautiful or not is subjective, different people will have different opinions on what is beautiful so you can't use that to determine if a pitcher is upper or lower.

If a plant has fringed wings on the front of the pitcher these will USUALLY only appear on lower pitchers where the uppers may have either no wings or just a raised rib.
Lower pitchers are often shorter and fatter whereas uppers tend to be longer and thinner.
One sure way I usually tell if a pitcher is upper or lower is where the tendril attaches to the pitcher. On a lower pitcher it attaches to the front of the pitcher and on an upper it attaches to the back.

There are probably a couple more but they are what I generally look for.

Hope this helps, Troy.

Troy, thanks for that concise summary of what distinguishes the two. It took me several months to realize that the tendril attachment point was the obvious and easiest way to distinguish. It's not mentioned in any books that i've read... a glaring error, in my opinion.

Hi Troy,
Just looked at my Nep pitchers this morning and was convinced that the tendril attachment is possibly the best way to identify a pitcher type. Though the sanguinea is somewhere on the side (so does it make an intermediate pitcher he he he ... ) but maxima is really attached to the front. But I guess when ever in doubt, there are other characteristics to look for as suggested on this forum. Its only this month that I started to be active on this forum and hope to remain active then.

BTW, If you intend to visit our country (yup Im talking about the Philippines), just drop me a note. I may not only show you my Nep collection (just a few now but Im expecting a shipment this week from Malaysia) but maybe some Neps from the wild too. However, you have to be fit to climb mountains fatboy
smile.gif

Appreciate your and spectabilis73 response on this. I may still be suffering from some Nepenthes Ignorance Syndrome but I guess the cure is already on its way.

Mabuhay !!!

Back