What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

I got into carnivorous plants fairly recently. I bought a VFT and general carnivores collection from Exotic Gardens. I was trying to make up for killing several VFTs as a kid. Looking back, they made me do it. This was long before the internet. The instructions actually suggested feeding them hamburger. Just use tap water, and so on. Basically, how to kill it.

Since we've become homeowners I've tried to develop a green thumb. Which, honestly, in Florida is pretty easy.

I've branched out, gotten hooked, whatever. I've got two kinds of butterworts, seven or eight sundews, six VFT types, and lots of sarracenia. Oh, and of course neps. Only the sarracenia and the older neps. live outside. The rest are in terrariums.

To the topic and forum at hand. I recently acquired some nepenthes from Lowes and a couple little nurseries. Of course, they were helpful enough to tell me that I was buying "a pitcher plant." Or, a "tropical pitcher plant." Lowe's even said nepenthes.

I think they are all nepenthes alata. But, that could be because it's the first one listed all the time. It's a pretty good guess anyway. There's the green, pink, red pitcher version. Pitchers up to about five inches. There is a yellow with red, or red with yellow version with large pitchers, up to about eight inches. There is another one with smaller brighter red pitchers with spots.

They are big plants and I had to make cuttings just so the vines wouldn't hang down where the dogs could eat them. I plan to protect the patio from insects with a phalanx of neps. Until it hits about 42 degrees, when they all will end up in the bathrooms until it warms up in the afternoons, I guess. I won't need to lift weights this Winter.

I don't have a website to post photos. How can I show you the plants?

Hello,

Exotic Gardens does have some space for members to use for a website or for hosting images. You can find it at home.petflytrap.com.

Look for the Web Home Community link at the bottom of the page.

Thanks, Nick. I'll try to take some photos from a distance at night (when the wind stops blowing) and crop a clear pitcher (pun) of each of them.

I probably should have put this one in the ID forum. I'll learn.

Well, you're wish is my command....moved to the id plant forum.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back