What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever find anything weird living in a nep pot?

I'm just curious what people have found.
smile.gif
I was repotting a nep one day and noticed little white things being carried around by something so I looked closer and realized that a colony of ants had set up shop in the base of a 4.5" pot.
tounge.gif
I even saw a queen in there. Now this pot was a good four feet up on a shelf, couldn't they have found a better place to build a condo?
wink.gif

So, what'd you find?

I found a treefrog inside a N. ventricosa pitcher once. Alive and well

Man, I was waiting for that.
tounge.gif
I knew it was going to happen. I want a tree frog!
wink.gif

Hello,
I found a centipede when I repotted a nep from lowes. And off topic, but I found a frog sitting on my S. Oreophylla, good times.....
Kevin

Interesting topic
biggrin.gif
I found lots of little frogs hiding inside most of the pitchers from the ventrata, and a little birdy comes every day to drink the water from a little pond created by the wide leaves on my n. rafflesiana everytime I water it
tounge.gif
One of these days I'll shoot it! Just kidding
wink.gif

My supervisor in college found a freshwater crab hiding in a pitcher plant a long time ago in Malaysia.

I have never seem anything wierd but drank the water from a N. ampullaria before the pitcher opened. The liquid has no taste and is flat. Apparently, from what I have read, it is full of free radicals.

Are we counting plants as living?

Probably everyone growing in long fibered sphagnum has all sorts of weird ferns like me but I also got a sundew in my LFS. A Drosera adelae! I never had any sundews in my highland Nepenthes tank except a Drosera binata (the two pronged sundew). Where this plant could have come from I could not say. My Nepenthes hamata is growing in a large plastic net pot of LFS living sphganum and orchid bark and the Drosera adelae loves it and has grown through the moss and is growing from the sides of the pot through the open slots.

Other than that no critters except ramshorn snails about the size of a pinhead that seem to live in the pitchers (that's where I've see them). But I don't know what the snails eat because the plants are doing great. I crush em and drop them in the pitchers when I see them (whivh is rare) - just to be on the safe side.

Anoles, Cuban tree frogs, local tree frogs (not eaten by the Cuban tree frogs), and wasps (sort of). The wasps sometimes go from pitcher to pitcher, and can surprise you. I hate wasps. If I could push them in I would.

The reptiles love the fact that they can cross the patio by using hanging nep baskets now. Not that they told me they "love" it. They just use them a lot.

Gugin you drank the fluid doesn`t that have drugs in it? (is that why you drank it? j/k) p.s. Where do you guys get s.oreophilla? I realy want one but their`s all this beurocaratic red tape.

Pond Boy,
Oreos are a pain to get. They are illegal to ship across state lines as part of a sale or trade. The only way it's legal is if it's a present. How do you proove it's not a trade anyway? Birthday card in the box?
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ Sep. 18 2003,3:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pond Boy,
  Oreos are a pain to get.  They are illegal to ship across state lines as part of a sale or trade.  The only way it's legal is if it's a present.  How do you proove it's not a trade anyway?  Birthday card in the box?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I'd almost think that a trade was a mutual gift between two parties.
tounge.gif

So what if I send you a gift of a plant and you send me a gift of currency?
wink.gif

A gift is something you give to someone else without receiving anything in return. The moment you receive something in return as a direct result of your gift then your gift is now a trade.... or something like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tony Paroubek @ Sep. 18 2003,3:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A gift is something you give to someone else without receiving anything in return.  The moment you receive something in return as a direct result of your gift then your gift is now a trade.... or something like that.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Isn't it more like a gift is something you give without ever expecting anything in return?
confused.gif
Otherwise I guess we trade presents on the holidays and there's a big difference between presents and gifts.
tounge.gif

Wow, imagine actually getting in trouble because you were so greatful for receiving something as a gift that you wanted to show your appreciation and sent something to show it?
tounge.gif

So if I could find someone willing to send me one as a gift that would be ok? (doubt I`ll find any one that generous though
confused.gif
).

I would if I get get my hands on a couple.

Thank-you for the thought:) ,but I Doubt you`ll be able to get your hands on some.

Main Entry: 1gift
Pronunciation: 'gift
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old Norse, something given, talent; akin to Old English giefan to give
Date: 12th century
1 : a notable capacity, talent, or endowment
2 : something voluntarily transferred by one person to another without compensation
3 : the act, right, or power of giving
smile.gif

maybe when I join the ICPS, but probably not. Whats up with that sign Dyflam?

Hey!,Dyflam I`m using fidnet too (I know it`s horible),and xp (not very impressed)!

Back