What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New n. ampullaria colorations

I don't think I should advertise on this forum and I'm not trying to do so, just having fun and sharing photos, cultivation tips etc. I think most people know where to find my website anyway (which will be updated next week). Anyway, I don't do retail sales anymore so you can obtain these plants in due course from a number of retailers in the US(including possibly PFT). They will start becoming available in the spring

Griffin, sorry to hear about the loss of your red pitcher green peristome amp. That's one of the really rare ones intoroduced into cultivation in the 1980's and has practically disappeared now. I don't have one
sad.gif

Rob, we know you aren't advertizing on here and having fun with the rest of use but it is kool that you do show us some of the plants that you have produced. we all wish we had room and the conditions you have to grow such lovely plants. thanks for sharing

Yeah, we know you just show us your plants to make us envious
wink.gif

Isn't the red pitcher red peristomed var. of Ampullaria the "Red Giant" form of it? Correct me if I am wrong. BTW, here's a pic of the one I am assuming Joe G. is talking about.

r_n_AmpRedGiant2.jpg

Nice plant. Now I'm envious!
biggrin.gif

Who will ever know if it's the same? I am happy now that I am getting two red giants from Malesiana(was on a waiting list). The one I had originated from Exotica(Geoff Mansell), I am pretty sure, and you can see a pic on his old website. I don't remember it mentioning the pitchers were bigger than normal. For some reason, this plant never pitchered to that point(though the N. benstonii was fine as was the albomarginata), but I had the impression it was the same plant in Clarke's book. I assumed the plant was in shock and would snap out of it, darn it.

Regards,

Joe

Griffin, how long where you on the waiting list for that one?

And how large do the pitchers get? 3-4" ?

Officially, I am not sure. I just told them while trying to order some stuff I had been waiting two years for that to reappear on their price list and they sent me an e-mail recently that they are ready. It's still not on their list as available, last I checked.
I do not know how big the pitchers get.
I suspect with how may seed Rob gets a chance to throw down, living in the right environment that he does, that sometime in the future we will see an all purple form of ampullaria.

Regards,

Joe

I recently talked to the folks at Malesiana about the giant red on their price list. It doesn't confirm if it is exactly the same that Tom Hayes has pictured but sounds at least similar..

"Please be advised that N. ampullaria 'giant red'. is red with gold-green peristome"

Tony

Griffin,

Throw down seeds?  THROW down seeds?!!  I'll have you know that I carefully put each one down and then spray it with water until it is in intimate contact with the media... well, almost!  
wink.gif

I'm going to be contentious here
wow.gif
 ... I don't believe that there is any such thing as a "giant form" of Nepenthes ampullaria.  In my opinion, under certain conditions any plant of this species can produce "giant" pitchers.  One way would be to wait many years and train it to climb through the gloom as if for a jungle canopy.  In the wild, in certain areas of juvenile dipteropcarp forest, the amps have attained the canopy.  The woody stems can be thicker than your thumb  and produce beautiful aerial rosettes with enormous pitchers.   However, if you take cuttings from those plants and grow them in higher light levels, they revert to normal growth and size. Now I expect someone will prove me wrong
tounge.gif

Rob,

I hear you on the "giant" description. I am more interested in the red coloration. I do have Cantley's red, also(named for some Nepenthes nut in Sri Lanka). Maybe the most useful thing about naming it "giant red form" is that we can be pretty sure that anyone who says they have it , is growing one of hese cuttings from Malesiana. The biggest pitchers I have seen of ampullaria(in pictures, of course) are from, I believe, Irian Jaya.
As for sowing Nepenthes seed, I have sparyed a misting bottle until my hand went numb and never get satisfactory seed-on-soil contact, lol. I need to catch a misty, drizzly rain I guess and let the pots get rained on.
We can be jealous of your conditions all we want, but as you said, you moved there for that purpose. I have not even moved to Florida(I live in Nebraska) for a better climate for a lowland greenhouse. It would be financial suicide to do that here.

Regards,

Joe

PS Sorry about the "Thrown down' comment
biggrin.gif

Back