What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last species alphabetically

Does everyone know what pure-bred species name is last, in alphabetic order(ie I think N. adnata is first, unless I am having a brain fart). It's kind of a tricky question.

Regards,

Joe

last one N. xiphioides but some don't count it as pure-bred as it simillar to N. gymnamphora or N. pectinata (according to Cheek & Jebb) so in that case the last one is N. villosa.
Arie

Arie,

I kind of forgot about N. xiphiodes, lol. Actually what I was getting at was had anyone else noticed on Malesiana's page that they named another species(from thier list of "sp #",ect).
It is called N. vogelii, which would put it below N. villosa, if the name sticks.
I also noticed that N. kurata is missing, and i was wondering if this new one replaced that one by name.
Anybody know anything?

Regards,

Joe

N. vogelii is now the official name for what was formerly called N. kuratae.

I knew Jeff would know the answer to that, and I thought it was the same plant, but I was not 100% sure.
Jeff, do you know why the change? It seems easier to keep calling it "N. sp 4", before giving it a species name and then changing it. Of course, N. kuratae did not get that much recognition at this point, that I was aware of at least. The name changing is interesting to watch.

Regards,

Joe

Those who wished to name this species N. vogelii published sooner than those who chose the name N. kuratae.

Back