What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. xiphiodes

• Thread starter eplants02
  • Start date
Any information about this plant would be helpful?

In my care, this species has responded well to typical highland conditions: temps 30 C daytime, 12 C overnight, high humidity, good lighting with a 13 hour photoperiod, watering every two days with purified water, and an acidic compost consisting of roughly equal parts of peat moss, horticultural charcoal, and fine orchid bark.

For those of us in the states....
Thats 86 degrees day and 54 degrees overnight

Schloaty,

Um, neps does live in the states, lol.

Joe

Hi,

in addition to Jeff's tips I do suggest to use a good portion of LFS as soil incredient. My plants did grow much better in soils with LFS than without LFS.

Joachim

P.S.: I do still find it hard to believe, N. xiphoides (left) and N. gymnamphora (right) should be the same species:

N_xiphoides_0203_B_small.jpg

N. xiphoides pitcher:

N_xiphoides_0203_A.jpg

Is N. pectinata still considered a synonym of N. gymnamphora? I noticed Joachim's pitchers are quite dark(maybe too dark to be considered purple), besides the enormous size difference between that plant and his N. xiphiodes.

Regards,

Joe

oops...

Sorry Neps!
tounge.gif

What's with using celcius? Do you use cm instead of inches, too?
tounge.gif
j/k

This is waaay off topic, but in answer to the question, yes, I do use metric measurements consistently (or at least try to do so). This is because the vast majority of the world's people use this system, and because I feel it is patently absurd that the US does not do so as well.

I hate our english system too. It's such a pain in the rump when talking to someone overseas via e-mail and re converting the metric units to english units. And visa-versa (having the metric user convert to english). I am training myself to use metric more often now, it is a heck of a lot easier.

BTW, Joachim nice plants.
wink.gif

This is WAY off topic, but.....

I personally don't have a problem with British Imperial units.
smile.gif
It's just one of those things that makes the USA more interesting than the rest of the world. I like metric for scientific stuff, and Imperial for causal stuff, sort of like speaking different languages, or having different currency. In the end, it's all just arbitrary.    BUt that's just my opinion.
wink.gif

Jœl

OH yeah....

Joachim

As usual, your plants do look gorgeous!
smile.gif

what is the farenheit scale based on anyway? Noone seems to know....

Andrew

Hi Joachim,

are you really shure that your N.gymnamphora is true ?
It seems to me like a natural Hybrid,but a really nice one.

Chris

Hi Christian,

no I'm not sure about the N. gymnamphora at all! In fact I don't think it is N. gymnamphora or N. pectinata. It does look much more like the N. species A, Charles Clarke shows in "N. of Sumatra" on Page 209/210. Sadly he doesn't show real lower pitchers with wings. On the picture on page 210 the leaf apex of this species can be seen, which does absolutely match the leaf apex of my plant and isn't typical for N. gymnamphora being sub-apical.

This picture does show more characteristics of this plant:

N_gymnamphora_small.jpg

Or larger: http://home.arcor.de/j.danz/N_gymnamphora.jpg

Any inputs helping to identify this plant are welcome!

Joachim

P.S.: Forgot to mention, that if the mother plant was identified correct as N. gymnamphora my guess for the parent species is N. bongso. So it might be N. gymnamphora x bongso.

Hi Joachim ,

this is right the same thing I thought, when I have seen the photo. I think it is an hybrid of n.gymnamphora and bongso .

Chris

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vagabond @ Feb. 06 2003,10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">what is the farenheit scale based on anyway? Noone seems to know....

Andrew[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
If memory serves me the Farenheit system is zeroed at the point at which salt water freezes (under standard temperature and pressure.) I am at a loss as to why they assigned 212 to be boiling point though

Back