What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grafting nepenthes

Has anyone ever tried grafting Nepenthes? What types of grafts do you think will work? What might happen if you grafted a slow growing nep like N. Lowii onto a faster growing Nep like N. Gracilis? Would it be possible to have male and female flowers on the same plant?

Thanks,
Mike
smile.gif

i was wondering the same thing. i just recieved this one book on make more plants and i was reading about grafting and how it is done and was wondering if it would be possible to do something like that with nepenthes. the only thing i would think is the plant would have to be some what mature before it could be done. just because of the size stem it would have to beable to do such a thing.

The maturity would have nothing to do with it, as far as I can see. I've grafted over 400,000 plants either with my own hands, or through people under me in my nursery manager days, and although I've never done a Nep, those long European cucumbers get so large because they graft them on to squash seeds when just a few days old.

Now I will make a guess, just for fun. You would use the whip and toung method. This is a long diagonal slice, then a thin slice just under the first. Then the same on the other plant and fit together. I'll post a photo when it gets lighter unless someone who has actually done it chimes in.

Very nice thought, though, and I cannot see why you couldn't graft a slow growing Nep onto a fast growing Nep and get something that would grow very fast indeed.

But the slow nep would take some time to root itself onto the graft.

Also fast and slow and highland and lowland are 2 different things..for example a hamata by a gracilis wouldn't work...you'd have to divide a grow area and put the 2 different sections in 2 different climates...but if it was possible a rajah grafted to a hamata might work out nicely.

I agree with the Tim the Whip and tongue method would probably prove most fruitful although spliced side grafting may work as well.
I wish I had a scanner, Ive got wonderfull full color photo illustrations on any method of grafting you could ever think of.
Id suggest checking out the library for further info.

biggrin.gif

Cliff Dodd did some grafting with Nepenthes many years ago.

It is my opinion that you would see no difference in growth rate if you put a slow growing highland plant on the rootstock of a fast growing lowland plant. It is more than the roots that control how fast a Nepenthes will grow. Highlands usually grow slower simply because it is COLD and biological prcocess work slower when it is colder. You want your N. lowii to grow as fast as N. gracilis?? Put it in pure lowland conditions and it will! It will die shortly after as it exhausts itself but for a while it will grow much faster.
The other problem is the vine like nature. You will need to keep grafting as the top of the vine grows and the base dies off.

You will need to keep grafting as the top of the vine grows and the base dies off.

Only if you planted it deeper, and the graft union was buried.

A benefit that I could see would be to graft a rare or small plant onto one of lesser value but with a larger root sytem.

In citrus and other fruit trees, landscape trees and veggies, grafting is used to inhibit growth or to get bigger plants than normal.

Instances of grafting for dwarfism, cold tolerance and other aspects involve putting a plant onto a different rootstock that has the desired characteristic. I see no differing characteristics between different Nepenthes cause by their roots. I suspect that if you grafted the top of one plant onto the bottom of another that the net effect would be to simply substitute one for another with no change in the growth of the plant. Grafting a small seedling onto a large rooted bottom section would most likely result in a portion of the root system dying back to equilibrate between the amount of food the leaves could produce and the root system it could support. I also don't think it would be worth the risk of losing an extreamly valuable small plant in an attempt to graft it.

The main benefit I could see at this point is to graft valuable cuttings onto easily rooted species to limit losses on these or other more difficult to root plants. Even this to me has marginal benefit since most are fairly easily rooted when done properly.

If you want to experiment and play around.. go for it.

Tony

What everybody seems to forget is the fact that Nepenthes
is dioceous - having male and female plants. Would a male
growing point on a female vine (with leaves) produce male
or female flowers? Don't forget the sex of the flowers is
controlled by hormones like GA, IAA and the illucid florigen ...
they are produced by the leaves, so would a small male
cutting on a large female vine produce female flowers because
of the abundance of female hormones in the mixed system?
Maybe a nice trick to get that expensive one produce pollen?

Frederick

That wouldn't have anything to do with it. Plants like Kiwi's are also diocious, and they are all grafted, otherwise the farmer doesn't know what percentage his has. The auxins are obviously not produced in the roots.

this all sounds very interesting but what is grafting?

In very simple terms grafting is the process of joining on plant onto another to make one plant. The process is used for many purposes such as creating a fruit tree that produces more than one type of fruit.

I was going through Rob's site and I found this. Has anyone else read it? It's by Cliff Dodd.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Grafting is something I only attempted once and with only a 1 in 4 success rate with 4 plants. I am simply not good at grafting, but I do plan to try it again in the future. I think it is useful to grow plants that live on exotic substrates like N. rajah or northiana onto a vigorous root system of say N. x mixta. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Seems like a good reason to graft. But instead of trying a Whip and Tongue Graft, what about a bud graft. Graft a dormant node onto an old stem and initiate it some how. You might even be able to graft a newly initiated node onto and old stem.

Mike
smile.gif

Excuse me if I'm the weird ball here, but whats grafting?
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Andenes @ June 18 2003,9:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Excuse me if I'm the weird ball here, but whats grafting?
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Grafting link

To put it into the simplest terms, chop the head off of one plant and put it on to the body of another.

Like, you could take Albert Einstein's head and put it on Arnold Schwartzenegger's body, and you'd have something!

Capslock

thank you capslock for that rather frightening image...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Capslock @ June 19 2003,06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like, you could take Albert Einstein's head and put it on Arnold Schwartzenegger's body, and you'd have something![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Just think about it, a tiny semi-bald head on a body that has to custom order from big and tall, *shudders*

Back