What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soil mix for cutting

is 1:1 peat moss and sand/perlite(which better?)ok for nep cuttings?i also have those hay type spahgum moss(brownish)what should i use?must i treat the peat moss be4 using?thx!

In my experience with cuttings I have found that a 3:2 mix of perlite:LFS topped with a thin layer of milled sphag works well. The important thing to remember with cuttings is that a lot of air in the media helps promote root development.

i made a cutting and there was black stuff on the insides of the stem of the "parent plant".Is this normal?
thanks!

truly i have no idea, .... maybe some neps bleed? like Ficus bleed a milkyish sap when they are cut

as for the soil, i use peat moss and perlite and orchid bark and LFS all mixed together =/

i put about an inch of orchid bark on the bottom of the pot before i add the peat with perlite and lfs and a bit of oorchid bark thats al mixed up

Try not to start a new topic every time you have a question about the same thing. You now have two threads going about the same cutting.

There should not be any black inside the stem. Was the stem healthy green on the outside with nice green leaves?

You can root the cutting in 1:1 peatmoss:sand. I would use something else though for a general potting mix as this mix will be pretty heavy and most Nepenthes like a more 'chunky' mix that is well aerated but yet holds moisture well.
Tony

thx...yes the outside stem is nice and green...sorry yesterday i was kinda worried...i tought my plant was rotting

Back