What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are pitchers shut?

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Prob #1: ALL of my Nepentes ventricosa's pitchers are shut and have been for weeks
confused.gif
Prob #2: Even the newest pitchers, as they grow, turn brown on the caps and on the edges of the leaves; they all do this at about the mid stage of growth for each individual leaf
confused.gif

confused.gif

confused.gif

What the heck does all this mean and what the heck do I do?

Sounds like your humidity is too low and your temp is too high.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Nov. 26 2002,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sounds like your humidity is too low and your temp is too high.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
What Nep. G said and may not be getting enough light too.

travis

i agree w/ N.Grac. i have gone threw this before but, w/ a diff nep. it is more on the humidity side if anything if your traps are closing on u. with the burning of the pitcher check your water you are watering it with. one time i used a dirty rain water and it burned the pitchers on one plant. also your temp could be to high.

could be too cold. My pitchers are dying from the cold in my bedroom... the rest of the plant is ok, just not the pitcheres... or humidity i suppose when i think of it that way...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GEORGE-CP @ Nov. 26 2002,01:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i agree w/ N.Grac. i have gone threw this before but, w/ a diff nep. it is more on the humidity side if anything if your traps are closing on u. with the burning of the pitcher check your water you are watering it with. one time i used a dirty rain water and it burned the pitchers on one plant. also your temp could be to high.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, I'll try more humidity. I'll have to find a way to make a terrarium for it. I don't think the temp is too high. It never gets over 80*F. or so where I'm keeping it(in my room. It's too cool for it outside). I'm using distilled water. The temp could be too low... but I have no idea whatsoever how I could possibly get it warmer
confused.gif

The temperature isn't too low! I have grown ventricosa in Ultrahighland conditions and it grew at the same rate of speed as it was growing in intermediate conditions. Ventricosa pretty much doesn't care what temps it has but it does appreciate higher humidity for pitcher production.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Nov. 26 2002,5:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (GEORGE-CP @ Nov. 26 2002,01:35)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i agree w/ N.Grac. i have gone threw this before but, w/ a diff nep. it is more on the humidity side if anything if your traps are closing on u. with the burning of the pitcher check your water you are watering it with. one time i used a dirty rain water and it burned the pitchers on one plant. also your temp could be to high.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, I'll try more humidity. I'll have to find a way to make a terrarium for it. I don't think the temp is too high. It never gets over 80*F. or so where I'm keeping it(in my room. It's too cool for it outside). I'm using distilled water. The temp could be too low... but I have no idea whatsoever how I could possibly get it warmer
confused.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
naaaaaa man, its about 65 outside righjt now and all my plants are outside enjoying it i guess, they have ben growing a bit biger sicne it started to getg a little chilly

specially my ventrosica, since you live in FL too its not too cold, too cold for it would be about 50, i leave all my plants outside all the time, never bring them in, unless it suddenly starts to snow here and it gets to 35 i twill bring them in but what are the chances of that, im more likely to win the lottery, hahahah

ummm.. Stefano.. I wouldn't say that... it snowed in the everglades 3 years back....

ok, it might have snowed

ive been living here for 15 years, IF it does snow, it melts when it gets on the ground, so we cant snowboard
mad.gif

i have live here for 26 years and i only remember it snowing 2 times here. the first time i was like the heck is this stuff coming out of the sky due to i havn't been up to N.Y. since we moved here and Stefano your right it doesn't stick to the ground and melts as soon as it hits it. #### no throwing snow balls at each other

Last winter one nursery in the area was advertising "free snow removal" as a joke... I was so wishing that it would snow and stick... just a few inches... but then I am evil.

*FlytrapGurl gazes at the snow graphic in silent awe and amazement*

Gurl,

I would guess it is humidity (I grew mine outside here in Atlanta this past summer and the heat wasn't a problem.) If you can keep it through the winter then you might want to try it outside next year, I think it can handle it in your neck of the woods just fine. In fact I just passed a small plant to a friend who lives there and she is going to try it outside so I will let you know how it goes if you are interested.

lol... thank you george

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Pyro @ Dec. 03 2002,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think it can handle it in your neck of the woods just fine. In fact I just passed a small plant to a friend who lives there and she is going to try it outside so I will let you know how it goes if you are interested.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Actually it gets down to 20*F. here at night during the winter and 40*F.-50*F. during the day. Florida's not all warmth and sunshine like they say in the commercials
smile.gif

And yes, I'm very interested. Do tell how the plant does outside!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FlytrapGurl @ Dec. 05 2002,4:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Actually it gets down to 20*F. here at night during the winter and 40*F.-50*F. during the day. Florida's not all warmth and sunshine like they say in the commercials
smile.gif
.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Yes I know, it hit 30* when I was there for Tday

I'll drop a line here when I hear back as to how the plant does.

Back