What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP! My plant has blackheads!!!

i noticed 2 lower leaves yellowing on my mystery nepenthes, which I've been caring for like a intermediate highland (ie warmer days, cool nights). Attached is an image if anyone would like to take a shot at identifying it (hint hint nudge nudge).
pitcher.jpg

The plant is still very young: it was about three inches across last November when I bought it and now it is much larger: (though normally it is housed in a 10" glass goldfish bowl to retain humidity under a full spectum bulb in desk lamp... )
wholeplant.jpg

Anyways, I thought the yellowing leaves indicated fertilizer or water needs so i did both, then noticed small black pepper sized "blackheads" (that's really the best way to describe them) or dots on the undersides of the leaves. The dots also seem to cause a braille like raised pimple on the top of the leaf. The picture doesn't show how extensive the dots are: on every leaf and even on some pitchers, but less noticable.
spidermites.JPG

On another forum I was adviced that it might be fungus damage. Someone else said this was normal for nepethes... that the leaves secret sugar? Is this true? Could it be thrip damage? I'm afraid if i wait, the plant might die! I'm also not sure what I will notice if i do spray chemicals on it. Will the spots magically disappear or are they a perminent part of the leaf? How will I know if the plant is OK? I cut the yellow leaves off in shear (heheh) panic... now i'm just tying to be calm (grin).

All help appreciated! Thanks so much!
-Lia

I think the things you describe might be little nectar glands , but they are usualy on the tendril for me. This odd placement makes kind of wonder if thats really what they are. The only adive I can give you is : one look for bugs and two just watch your plant and see how it goes. Sorry I can not ID your plant , but may I say nice pics.

Something that WONT hurt is Benomyl... Thats thef fungicide I use. It's suppoosed to be the best for CPs...

The leaves of your plant look simialar to my gubler's, and the pitcher SHAPE is also reminicent of the shape of mine, only the winds are just hairs on mine, with no skin flap.

First, welcome to the forums!

Try not to worry about those dots--your plant appears to be very healthy.

To me, the plant resembles N. khasiana. That pitcher is fairly well-developed and colored. Others, any ideas?

Chris

Hmm....it looks sorta like an N.Merrilliana or N.Khasiana to me at least. Also your bumps there are a form of fungus I would say. So yeah, I would treat with a Nepenthes reccomended fungicide.

The plant has really thin leaves that can't seem to handle a lot of misting... I don't think its khasiana. Doesn't it have thick leaves with hair??

I finally gave in and sprayed it with a fungacide... Do you think i should repot it when the infection is gone, or do you think that would shock it too much. How long will it take to notice a change? Will the spots simply go away?

-Lia

Have the spots gotten bigger since you have first seen them? Have more of them popped up on existing leaves?

If the answer is yes to either of these two questions THEN you have a problem. If the answer is no to both then you do not have a problem and should stop worrying and spraying arbitrarily with chemicals.

I will take some pics of nectar secreting glands and post them for you.

Tony

ps.. looks like merrilliana x maxima or something like that

A new leaf is in the process of opening and has them on its underside... or before it uncurled you could see them... But they aren't black yet, they are green-ish potholes, a few are starting to darken... which makes me wonder if they are indeed glands.

Ack. i don't feel good about using chemicals, especially now that I have some made up it creates all sorts of environmental concerns about disposal hazards etc and now that i might have subjected the plant to it for nothing.. but what's done is done.

If you have pictures please post them. Words just muddle. The only way to be certain is to see...

-Lia

My first impression was that is was N. Khasiana, where did you get him/her/it?. Wonderful plant anyway!

Back