What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Botanical description of n. hamata

I'm just curious if anyone has found a botanical description (with measurements of leaf, pitcher, tendril, internode, etc...) of Nepenthes hamata online anywhere? So far I haven't found anything that looks like "official" measurements.

Thanks for any info you might have!
smile.gif

Hi Josh,

I don't think you'll find this description online. You might think of purchasing "Flora Malesiana" Vol 15 - 2001. This is the taxonomic revision of Nepenthes of Malesia. It's not cheap but well worth the money as long as you're interested in a more scientific publication (without photos and only few drawings). Most of your questions for N.hamata are answered there.

Leaf size: 6-7.5 x 1.7-2.5 cm
Lower pitchers: 7-11.5cm by 2.1-3.2cm
Internode length: 3.5-6cm on climbing stems, 2-6mm on rosettes

I believe these are the dimensions of plants Turnbell and Middleton mentioned in their first description of N. hamata in Reinwardtia 10,2 (1984) 108. (The plant was described as N. hamatus by them.)

Joachim

Thanks Joachim,
Are those the adult measurements? My plant is already producing a 13 cm leaf (just completely unfurled and has not yet dropped the tendril) which is almost double the measurements given there!
My lower pitchers are also larger than listed, my last pitcher was 15 cm and the newest ones haven't yet been started but I don't expect them to be any smaller.

Where can I acquire this book, who published it? I've boughten every Nep publication I can get my dirty hands on but I haven't come across that book. PM me if you don't wanna say "in public".

Hi Josh,

I believe these are measurements of the type material - bigger plants might not by found the time N. hamata was discovered. Plant size is always a factor of growth conditions, which greatly differ in cultivation and in the wild.

This monography is available through Stefan Wolf here in Germany:
http://www.angelfire.com/de/cpbooks/cat.html
He's only selling books, so posting a link here should be OK.

Joachim

Thanks Joachim!

I happened to locate a copy last night from a scientific book distributor here in the US that I'd never heard of before they had one copy available and I got it! The saleman said I'll be reading it on Thursday.

Back