What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New grenhouse hybrid?

I purchased what is labeled as "Nepenthes Gentle" today. It's in quite bad shape but there is 4 growing points to restart new plants from. But the image on the tag shows what looks like my big plant of "N. maxima x ? #1 Red" which makes slightly peltate leaves and 25 cm pitchers. I half bought this plant cos it was a new nep and half cos I wanted to compare the photo to the plant I have.

Can anyone tell me who the parents are of N. Gentle?

I tried a futile search on the CP database and on Google. I thought people had mentioned N. Gentle on this forum before but I could not find the specific posts when I ran a search.  
sad.gif

Thanks for any thoughts!  
smile.gif

Is there a better way to run a search on here then just typing "Nepenthes Gentle" and selecting "tropical pitcher plants" from the drop down menu?
That's what I did and it returned a copy of every post from the Nepenthes forum.

CP database simply says No Match for any specific plants I type in. It only returns results for me if I only type the genus in, and then it gives me the whole list.

According to that post nobody knows what it is exactly.
sad.gif

If I understand correctly it's parents are not positively known.

To search here I just typed in gentle
Then set if for this month and older (default I think is for this month and newer! Which is kind of pointless)
Also make sure it is set for topic and post so it searches more than just the topic titles.

I searched just the nepenthes forum also.

The CPdatabase is kind of funky. I think hybrids are listed as
* so you would need to either go with just gentle or *gentle.

Tony

I believe that "Nepenthes Gentle" is a cross between N.fusca & N. maxima.

bill

It looks very similar to a mass produced TC plant sold here in the US as N. 'Corn.bak' It may be a TC sibling (from the same seed pod but a different seed). I am inclined to agree with Bill that it is N. maxima x N. fusca. I've got one just starting to flower now.

Trent

Trent, if we have the same plant your pitchers should resemble mine which seem to have topped out at around 25 cm high:
nmaxima1pf7-03.jpg

Sold labeled as N. coccinea (it clearly is not). Upon purchase of the "N. gentle" the other day (which had a plastic tag with photograph of the plant with pitchers) it looks just like this.

That's the plant from Holland called N. 'Miranda' here in Florida. The pic I saw previously of a N. 'Gentle' looked exactly like the plant we call 'Corn.Bak'. Miranda can get large, and when grown properly for a few years they are spectacular.
The 'Corn.Bak' has a flared, bronzy brown peristome and is very cylindrical, pale yellow green wuth rust colored spotting. It has the vaulted neck like fusca with a narrow, wavy edged lid.
I'll see if I can get some pics up soon.

Trent

I have one I've been calling "N. maxima X ? #2 "Yellow" perhaps this fits with your description (this pitcher is about 18 cm but I've grown them larger on this plant in the past):
nmaxima2p8-03.jpg

a bit closer:
nmaxima2peri.jpg

Swords, do you think there could be some truncata in that hybrid of yours? The lip has the characteristic shape. The lid too, and even the pitcher shape with those wings...I guess I can't see the leaves, though, so I could be totally off base...
confused.gif

It is not one of the plants from Holland, unless it's something new.
I agree about the truncata influence. The leaf shape would be a dead giveaway.

Trent

Yes, there are aspects of the pitchers on "yellow" that do kinda resemble truncata now that you mention it. However, the leaves themselves are wide, petiolate, with a rounded apex (but not abruptly truncated which is a charachteristic that seems to carry in most hybrids involving truncata) and a slightly peltate tendril insertion. Just like the "red" or "gentle" or "miranda" or whatever it may be.
wink.gif

Without pitchers both of these hybrid plants are virtually indistinguishable from each other in stem shape/diameter, leaf shape/type/color but grown in the same true lowland conditions side by side as they create pitchers it's clear they're different. The red one while creating bigger pitchers is the faster grower.

Another one of those maxima mystery hybrids! I don't recognize it as one of the mass produced garden center Nepenthes. I guess it will require a bit of detective work backtracking to its point of origin. You know, find out from the person/establishment you got it from to tell you where they got it...

Trent

The "yellow" is supposed to be maxima x bongso hybrid but the pitchers look nothing like the maxima x bongso photos I was shown of this clone when I was considering buying it. It was a pitcherless vine when I acquired it from Orchids Limited. At the time of my purchasea year or two ago, their catalog didn't have anything that looked like it could create pitchers like this.

If Khai were around anymore perhaps he might be able to shed some light on it as he used to work for OL.

Next time you're there, ask to check out older catalogs, or talk to someone who may be able to help. I don't know how big or customer friendly O.L. is, but most orchid nurseries, including myself, are very anxious to please customers who bring repeat business.
I don't see how its a bonso hybrid either. It's probably something they aquired a long time ago. How long has O.L. been into Nepenthes?

Trent

Nepenthes 'Gentle' is mass-produced by Deroose Plants, a tissue culture lab in Belgium. They import a lot of plants, mainly Bromeliads, but no doubt some Neps too, into the US. I agree with Bill, that the likely parents for this hybrid are  N.fusca & N. maxima. N. 'Gentle' is not a legitimate, registered cultivar, but is a widely distributed, commercially propagated clone. They are very attractive, vigorous and easy to grow Neps.

Here are some pictures of one of my plants that I posted on PFT a couple of months ago.

gentle1.jpg

gentle2.jpg

Vic

The plant in Vic's pictures is from DeRoose, and is sold as N. 'Corn.bak' to us. It is not a registered cultivar-non of their stuff is, and I don't think they care. I have one in spike now.

Trent

Back