What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5n.maxima x mixta slowing down!

Hi
I got a reasonable sized N. maxima x mixta in 1997. It had two growing points which developed very quickly. The pitchers were about 6 inches in size and one of the stems eventually grew to about 5 foot! At that point I trimmed both stems back. It now has four growing points and is in a larger pot.
But since 1999 when I did this, growth has slowed right down. None of the stems are more than a few inches in length and typical pitcher size is now about 3-4 inches
confused.gif

Could this slow down be caused by the extra growing points do you think? None of the growing conditions have changed, and it still looks healthy.
At the time I trimmed it back I did use them as cuttings, but they didn't take
mad.gif

Any suggestions?

cheers

bill

Hows the potting mix condition? What kind of water etc does it get? Do you suppliment it with insects or other food periodically?

It could be that it now has 4 growing points living off the same root system that previously only had a couple.
Tony

Hi
When I repotted I used a mix of live Sphagnum moss mixed with orchid bark and perlite. This was similar to the mix it had arrived with. I use rain water. And my plants in the greenhouse catch their own food
wink.gif
Mainly flying insects.

The extra growing points might be stretching its resources perhaps?

bill

Are the basal shoots also having smaller pitchers. Certain nepenthes have smaller "upper pitchers" than lower pitchers. Good luck.

Kim

Back