What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smallest Nep

Which Nepenthes is the smallest? Smallest leaves, and hopefully stem, but pitchers can be like, huge, they dont matter... This is basically a question for choosing a Nep for a terrarium... Do neps go well with Helis???

Hmm..... Nepenthes aren't really the smallest growing plant but I would say for the smallest most compact plant would go with N.Campanulata which grows a rossette of short neat leaves with medium sized pitchers on an EXTREMLY compact stem. Very Rare also.
N.Argentii which only makes long tendrils is also a tiny Nepenthes. Tiny but astounding and neat pitchers. Nice and compact stem and leaves aren't too long.
N.Ovata is pretty compact too pitchers are nice and fairly large when grow to maturity.
N. Aristochioldes is pretty small and compact for a while, then it will tend to climb. I think this is about it for small,compact,neat Nepenthes most will become a fairly large vining mass of leaves,tendrils, and massive pitchers!

N. glabrata is supposed to be an ideal terrarium plant because it it is really small and compact.

Pyro

The smallest nepenthes I've ever seen were the glabrata ant the ampullaria , the biggest I've ever seen was the mirabilis ant the rafflesiana .

That is IT! Nepenthes campanulata!!! I saw this plant on this website, and I couldnt find it again!!! I saw it sooooo long ago, and I've wanted it since!!! Now that I know all about it, I want it even more... Heres the website: <a href="http://www.malesiana.tropicals.com.my/tropicals/nep-cam.html

Oh" target="_blank">http://www.malesiana.tropicals.com.my/tropicals/nep-cam.html

Oh</a> my god, This is the NUMBER ONE plant on my whishlisht... There is not a single other plant on this earth that I want more!!!!!

aregentii, looks neat with its tenril thrusting, and stuff... Kinda like a booby trap for bugs! Hehehe...

I couldnt find pictures of aristochiolodes, but thats the one that has the opening on its side sort of right???

Thanks NepG!

omg

Nepenthes campanulata looks soo cool!

but its rare ;[

so what else, im look for a small one too ehe

Parasuco Phill Mann www.scarnivores.com has campanulata, I saw it the other day. If you are going to order from overseas then he is probably the cheapest. I don't know of anyone in the US or Canada that has it. I am kicking myself for not having got some too.

Did you see the online magazine article about it a few months back, can't remember the name of the mag but if no one else here can tell you I'm sure I can find the link.

Cheers, Troy.

Hi,

http://www.malesiana.tropicals.com.my/tropicals/nep-cam.html

www.google.com will give you more than 100 links to "Nepenthes campanulata" or "Nepenthes aristolochioides" in less than 1 second.

You can grow Heliamphora together with Nepenthes, but this is only recommend for Highland spezies. (N. campanulata grows at 300m !)

Heliamphora does also need VERY bright light to grow well...

I grow them under a 70W high pressure sodium light and they still aren't as coloured as the Heliamphora in the natural habitat.

http://www.drosophyllum.com/Bilder/terrarium05.jpg 190 kByte !!!!

Martin

(Edited by Martin at 3:50 am on April 30, 2002)

Another good small Nep. is maxima 'Poso dwarf' , the only problem is its a lowland sp.
Phil Mann traded me one a few years ago .

Nepenthes aristolochioides

is that a lowland nep? and also with N glabrata, is that a lowland nep too,

they are both extremely awsome, the glabrata is soo cool, could i grow that at low land nep conditions?

could i grow Nepenthes aristolochioides at low land nep conditions?

No way! They are both true-to-the-blue highlands. Sorry pal! You may wanna go with a Nepenthes Thorelli or N.Tobaicia for small pitcher size but not small plants!!! Large viney messes is what they will look like! But since your so far south you maby could grow them outside where they could run rampant. Just a suggestion.
smile.gif

i cant find any info on Nepenthes Thorelli

OR none on N.Tobaicia

sad.gif

What do you mean viny mess? How compact can you get with tobaica???

nxtob.jpg

You think thats messy? CRACK OPEN A DICTIONARY!!!

hehe, j/k...

lol, yea i saw that, but aww at this man, i ordered the purple kind

nep-tob2.jpg

YEA LOOK AT THAT, HEHEHE,

oh well, i just wanted to say i ordered it cus dyflam did the bic too, hhe

yea, I posted that in the windowsills thread, along with the green one. Beat you to the punch, chump!
Hehe...

Hey, um, can you order just one plant form that company? Where are you?

i didnt order from that nursery

thats in borneo, its #### cheap there

i got mine for 20&#36 at michael catantis web site (im sure u know what site that is )

and at that nurseri its 8 dolelrs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

####!

i got purple form, hopefuly by next saturday i should have it

i live in south florida

i always get yelled at for spelling errors ;[

That was no spelling error, lol, j/k...
bah.....

so, i dont know his website.

its where the CP's live in a jungle
smile.gif

Back