What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. eustachya

As most of you know I've upgraded my flourescents to a 400W metal halide and it's been running on my lowland tank for about a week now and suddenly my N. eustachya has developed white spots on most all of the old leaves (I just noticed this today as I watered the plants on sunday and did not see this).
At first I was alarmed but I see none of the spots come off when I rub them, and they do not move and has not moved to other plants in the chamber. So I'm starting to wonder if this is simply a new type of waxy exudate that the N. eustachya already released when it was growing under bright florescents.
Are any of you growing N. eustacya under MH? If so do your older leaves have white waxy spots or an even "milky" waxy coating (looks like the leaves had been dipped in milk)?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Hey Josh,

i don't have a plant of this one but, a bunch of seed that i am trying to germinate. so as info you request i can not give but, for he seeds they still havn't germinated. one thing i have noticed with seeds don't ever give up on them. they do take a while to germinate as others i hae are just now starting to grow that i ahve had for a while now.

I just need to know if I need to seperate it from the others or destroy the plant if this is some kind of "dread" infestation of scale or some weird paratite as I don't wanna jeapordize my whole lowland collection.

Josh, if ya don't know what it is i personally would move it from the rest of the plants until you did find out. post a pick and maybe someone could tell ya what it is. also the plant could be getting burned a little from the new lighting set up

Try scraping one off with a knife. The undersides of scale insects are usually reddish, or some color other than the top.

Whew! I scraped some off and it appears to just be some kinda waxy substance. It just shocked me cos it's much different than the wax it put out under flourescents.

Back