What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknown Nepenthes

Hi I have a nepenthes I got from osh at the begining of the summer, I asked a worker in the garden department and she said, (acting like she was all smart) "It's a venus fly trap of course!" and walked away. do you know what it is? It has small,plump pitchers that are plump at the bottom and narrow dramaticly (sp?) at the top. oh yeah and the top is red. (I'm pretty sure it's not a ventrincosa) can you help? Thanks.
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
tounge.gif

a picture would help id the plant

I have a pic but don't know how to post it
sad.gif
I'll figure it out
smile.gif

when you figure it out let me know i still can post a picture

I can't figure it out. george, do you know what to do?or anyone else?they don't except ftp:'s
mad.gif

Ok see in the window when you reply? See the image button? Hit that, then a little window pops up. Type in the URL for your image and hit ok, then your done.

Those are baby pitchers... You'll prolly have to wait till it makes a mature pitcher to ID it on anything more than leaf shape... It does sound alot like the immature pitchers of my X ventrata when I bought it...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Sep. 29 2002,2:10)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok see in the window when you reply? See the image button? Hit that, then a little window pops up. Type in the URL for your image and hit ok, then your done.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I tried that already. I don't have my own website to do that with. I cant do html: I can do ftp:s but the discussion Forums doesn't acccept ftp:s maybe I can e-mail you the pic and you can do it.
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Parasuco @ Sep. 29 2002,3:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Those are baby pitchers... You'll prolly have to wait till it makes a mature pitcher to ID it on anything more than leaf shape... It does sound alot like the immature pitchers of my X ventrata when I bought it...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
How long will it take to get mature pitchers?
confused.gif

If your pics are on a website, sure I can do it for you!
smile.gif

Mature pitchers will take a while on species. On easy growers and common plants it will take about a year or 2 to get larger pitchers but on little plants of N.Rajah let's say it will be a WHILE to get big pitchers.
biggrin.gif

heck your right about that the rajah pichers do grow slow and takes awhile for pitchers to even open but they are getting bigger and still looks healthy
biggrin.gif

Here is Spectabilis 73's picture of his Nepenthes hybrid.

Cannot post the pic but here's the URL to the pic.

Unknown Nepenthes

Looks like it has some Veitchii in it.

hey it looks like a perfit match to my upper pitchers of my Thoreii x Witteii but mine are red with green strips
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nepenthes gracilis @ Sep. 30 2002,1:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is Spectabilis 73's picture of his Nepenthes hybrid.

Cannot post the pic but here's the URL to the pic.

Unknown Nepenthes

Looks like it has some Veitchii in it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
thanks for posting the pic, gracilis! and thanks for all the help in identifying it! I was afraid all I'd hear was ventrincosa!ventincosa! ventrincosa! thanks for all the help I will try to post a pic of my unknown pinguicula (sp?) I wonder if you'll have to post it again, gracilis!
Spectabilis73

Hi. one more question... how long will it take to get a climbing vine? My pitcher is now open all the way and the top is really red! (almost deep red&#33
wink.gif
can't wait till I get mature pitchers.

thanks,
Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

If it is a hybrid and the parent is Veitchii it will be a climber! But it will take quite a while to climb yet. My Veitchii x Truncata is still a bulky plant but is not climbing yet, I have had it for about 2 years now. But just wait and eventually you will see some climbing signs in the future of this plant.

well, I hate to say it, but it looks some what like a ventricosa to me...

do you have a nursery label any where? do you know who produced it? Gublers?

I think it is fun to try and identify mystery plants, but we all need to remember, it will always be a mystery, we can not for certain determine this plants heredity, and as such, it should only be traded as an 'unknown'. if it is, say, sanguinea, or a hybrid of thorelli, and you trade it to someone who is looking for ventricosa, to cross later and create a new complex hybrid, then you have pretty much given that person a costly detour..

Just my 2 cents of caution!
wink.gif
but I do think ventricosa or ventrata!

Back