What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How big does the nepenthes rajah get

I have to alot of ppl tell me nepenthes rajah size and they were all different so i want to know what a full size pitcher is , how tall the ptichers , the width of the pitcher , the amount of gallons it can hold , and what is the biggest thing it can catch . most of the places i go to ask sell them for about less then 30 bucks but they don't tell me .

OK here it is straight from "the Bible":

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excerpts from Nepenthes of Borneo by Charles Clarke:

"Stem: 6 meters in length
Leaves: 80 cm long, 15 cm wide
Pitchers: 35 cm long, 18 cm wide
Known to catch rats, frogs and lizards as well as insects."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The common conception is that the pitchers can hold up to 3 liters of fluid. But I don't know anyone locally with a mature N. rajah to test that theory. I accidentally dmped out my latest rajah pitcher (2"high) while repotting it, what a gross mess that was!
tounge.gif

I didn't think rajah was that much of a climber, a rajah with a 6m stem would be something to see.

Andrew

there was someone that had a picture of a nice size rajah that was posted early last year. looked like it could be a 3m

Ok, if you wanna be a purist the exact stem description in Neps of Borneo is:

"Stem: generally prostrate, < 6 meters in in length, < 25mm thick, internodes < 20cm, cylindrical "

I just didn't wanna totally plagerize the book!
wink.gif

I could be wrong(I am often), but you really have to invest in your set-up to get a rajah anywhere close to this. I have yet to buy one, as mine would be at best,a 8cm plant with very small pitchers(If lucky), and what is the point of having something not very impressive looking with a impressive name? I sometimes think many of us would be better off growing N. x Coccinea that are giant and bushy(I don't have the chamber yet to do even this), rather than little highland plants we all want to grow, but look like little green spiders.
Whew, I don't know where that came from. Hopefully some time I will have a chamber that can be cooled and have air movement(and auto-watering and each plant have periodic auto-feeding, ect,ect
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

biggrin.gif

I got my rajah at 3" in size and it's more than doubled in size (now 8") since I got it in June. The highland plants like rajah and hamata seem to grow pretty quickly. The only one which after six months of purchase is still a "little green spider" (it does indeed look like that) is N. lowii who must surely be the slowest growing plant in the world! j/k

It really doesn't take much to construct a decent sized grow chamber and fit it with cooling & lighting. All parts obtainable from your friendly home depot and radio shack stores.
wink.gif

For me it's fun to watch the plants evolve into beasts. Each leaf larger than the first and each pitcher evolving more and more to the mature shape and colors.

there was someone that said that the plants wasn't that much of a climber. so i knew there was a picture of the one posted last year and to me it sure looked like it was a climber to me

from the looks of that one it seams to be that it will have to have a nice size g/h to grow in to actaully be happy.

yes, it is a fast growing so to speak when i recieved the one i have in Sept. it was a 3" size plant and now is at 5" with it just now putting out nice size leaves and it is still in the same pot as it got it in. the last leaf was 2" long and the pitcher still isn't no where near formed yet. just by the looks of it i'm sure it is going to be doubled from what the rest of the pitchers have grown too.

some one said it had 20 cm pitchers i have a n. x rokko female with monster 28 cm pitchers wow thats 7 cm smaller than the size of the rajah mentioned by charles clark.....and a 14 year old n.rahja and my n. x rokko has taller pitchers than the n.rajah WOW!!!!!

Back