What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes the GREAT picture thread!

N. Burkei
b04087b97423d5b8c323ac0b401a6aab.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

N. Sanguinea "Orange"
74faf2b8f7317fc646daea0c0ced322c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, you know that someone is going to ask which species these are. It might as well be me. ;)

Last edited:
Well, you know that someone is going to ask which species these are. It might as well be me. ;)

I agree. Very pretty though. What is the red flower? I first thought Rhododendron by the looks of the leaves, but the flower does not match what I see blooming here in NJ.

I agree. Very pretty though. What is the red flower? I first thought Rhododendron by the looks of the leaves, but the flower does not match what I see blooming here in NJ.

Thanks! Jerry, you are right! It is a rhododendron, but a tropical one known as a vireya rhododendron. Many species are found sympathetic with nepenthes which inspired me. This one is a hybrid though, st. Valentine

Thanks! Jerry, you are right! It is a rhododendron, but a tropical one known as a vireya rhododendron. Many species are found sympathetic with nepenthes which inspired me. This one is a hybrid though, st. Valentine

I just read a little bit about the Vireya Rhododendrons. Long history in cultivation, but pretty fragile in cold climates, and the interruptions of wars. https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/vireya-rhododendrons-return/

Now I am wondering if I may have seen some of these tropical species being sold as houseplants. I really never knew about the tropical plants. Just cold tolerant US, Chinese, Korean species. I ignored them.

Just a quick shout out that there is a (free) Nepenthes themed photo contest with a deadline of tomorrow for petflytrap.com gift certificate prizes.

More info here if anyone is interested:
December Newsletter and Updates

Thanks

Is it okay to revive this old thread? My little N. tentaculata is starting to show its distinctive mouth shape. Didn't feel fancy enough for its own post but I wanted to share
20230617_181935.jpg

Back