What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hybrids: natural and man-made

Hi all:

I just wanted to share these beauties with you!!. The last picture is an N. fusca (typical X dark). Would it be considered a hybrid or just N. fusca??. Trent: your opinion is very much appreciated. Thanks.

Gus

buredw.jpg

This one has a big pitcher arount 3.5 inches long

lowvent.jpg

Red as cherry!!

fusca.jpg

If you define a hybrid as 'an individual plant or animal resulting from a cross between parents of differing genotypes' (Oxford Dictionary of Natural History, 1985), then your N. fusca can be called a hybrid, its an intraspecific hybrid rather than an interspecific one, that's all. Take the example of Drosera 'California Sunset', widely called a hybrid (eg. Schnell (2002), D'Amato (1998 ) and SlacK (1979 & 1986) ), yet this cultivar is a cross between two varieties of the same species D. filiformis.

Nice healthy looking pitcher plants.

Vic

Hi
Nice plants
smile.gif

Did you get the N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana from MT?

cheers

bill

Thanks Vic for your explanation. Fly-catch; not from MT but from EP. They do a good job!!. My intention is not to advertise but to inform!!. Just in case!!.

Agustin

Hi Gus,
I agree with Vic, but there's more to the picture. Peter D's Drosera hybrid is a registered cultivar, an individual plant selected from the grex. It's still a D. filiformis, as are the rest of the siblings, but all the rest of the siblings are not the cultivar 'California Sunset'. I would label the N. fusca as you have it: denoting it was bred by "human hands". If a single individual plant stood out from the rest of the siblings, a true 'fusca of distinction', it could be given a cultivar name and registered at the ICPS.
The rules of registration are available at their site.
Nice looking plants, bro!

Trent

Back