What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which nep is this?

• Thread starter seedling
  • Start date
Hello,

This is a pic of the plant I bought from home hardware, can any one tell me which nep this is?

nep1.bmp

added some more pics maybe these are a little better
nep2.bmp

nep3.bmp

wow blurry picture but, it is a N. Ventricosa

Thanks thats what I thought,

The camera that I used kind of sucks it was free with my Visa reward points and has no flash or focus lol The "pen cam"
sounded cooler then it turned out to be.

no, not ventrincosa. If you look closely you can see that there is a very small wings. good find seedling!

hmm Hard to say for sure on the ribs/wings thing as the pitcher quality doesn't really show it well. To me it looks like just raised ribs and not wings. Which would fit fine with N. ventricosa description. The rest of the pitcher shape and what is visible for leaf sure look like a young N. ventricosa to me.

Tony

I also cast my vote for ventricosa. It looks just like the baby pitchers on the 8 or so basal rosettes of my big plant.

tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
- but if you look at the #1 and #2 pics. you can see that they are not raised ribs, but wings.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
- ribs are like spikes, aren't they? - but if you look extra closely you can clearly (ok, not clearly
tounge.gif
) see that it looks like a solid wall, not spikes
tounge.gif

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
- Man, I don't think I'll win this. -
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

ok, ok everyone. The leaves do look like ventrincosa leaves, and the pitchers look like ventrincosa pitchers. But I think we should wait to see other peoples opinions.
smile.gif
could the flowers tell?

It's a ventricosa. Spectabilis - small wings like that are produced by young ventricosa, but go away as it gets larger.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Ventricosa has wings when it's young, as it ages the wings get shortwer and shorter until then go away. So yeah spect, your right no win on this disscusion.
smile.gif

I have that same plant (we bought it at the same store)... Its ventricosa... I'm quite positive. The newest pitcher that opened (it was pretty much ready to open when i bought it), and it looks even more ventricosa... It only lacks the fluted peristome...
confused.gif

I'll toss in my vote...ventricosa.
smile.gif
Mine also had "wings" on the juvenile pitchers but the larger ones don't.

Suzanne

it does look like a young ventricosa, and Agristarts does sell TC plugs of that species, but I have seen quite a few alata x ventricosa hybrids up here (large plants). Is it possible it could be that, or a hybrid back-crossed with a ventricosa?

Joe

The tag on the plant said Nepenthes from Colasanti Farms. Guess I can try look them up and see if they can tell me.

Back