What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm germanating some nep. seeds!

Hello,
     I've decided that I wanted to grow some neps from seed! I have N. ventrincosa and ampularria (sp) seeds
What do I use for soil? Are there any specific requirements? (Please answer as soon as possible! )
Thanks,
        Spec73
biggrin.gif

Spec, well since no one has answered you in the 2 days that i noticed since you post this topic. you can place them in wet l/f/s moss and sprinkle them on top of it

One easy way that I have used to sprout nep seeds is to take a pot, fill it with peatmoss that is damp, water through it to settle it, then sprinkle your seeds on the peat and then cover the peat with about a sixteenth inch of silica sand. Dampen it again. Keep in your terrarium heated until they sprout. Sometimes it is fast, and sometimes it is slow, but if you have viable seed, when they pop, you usually have decent germination. Good luck. Aloha from Hawaii.

Kim

Hey Kim

The silica sand that you use, is it the very fine grain kind or is it very course? Would there be a difference in using a course grain? Thank a lot.

Jœl

Hey Spec73,

I have a friend in the UK who uses perlite/vermerculite with great success. I would think there would be a lesser chance of fungus with this.
Kim,
The sand on top of peat was a very interesting concept. My biggest problem is full contact with the medium, and that may be the answer. Not to mention, fine silica is white and probably reflective to the seedlings.
How do people get the cool pictures by their name(like the Batman and Arthur from "The Tick")?

Regards,

Joe

Griffin, go into your controll panel and somewhere in there there is an avatar option if ya want to use one of them.

The silica sand I use is rather fine and I get it at the builders' supply. Sandblasting sand with a fine grit.

Kim

Back