What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. inermis

Hello,

I started growing N. inermis in the beginning of January.  Since this time it has grown two new pitchers.  However, within about 2 days of the opening of each new pitcher the previous pitcher has quickly died off.  My highlanders experience "hard" growing conditions (bright light, 14 hour photoperiod, daytime drop in humidity, and cold breezy nights)  I remember reading on Joachim's website that he has experienced this "one pitcher at a time" growth habit of N. inermis as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? I remember a picture of one of Rob Cantley's N. inermis (in his identification contest) and I seem to remember there being several live pitchers on it.  Are there certain clones that seem to keep several pitchers at a time while others keep fewer, or could this be from the conditions that the plants are cultivated in?  Does anyone know if wild plants show this kind of behavior?  Is it possible that the viscous fluid breaks down over a certain time period and thus the plant only keeps its lower pitchers active for a short time?

Thanks for any input,
Matt

inermis4.jpg

My inermis plants each have 3 good looking pitchers but my highlanders don't have a drop in humidity at any time day or night. There is a fan and humidifer (hooked up to a humidistat set at 80%) blowing day & night in their chamber.
I have been keeping my inermis pitchers almost filled with water and it does seem to help their longevity a great deal (at least for the past few months anyway).

In the greenhouse they seem to average 2-3 pitchers. They actually last better in the summer months because the underbench misters run most of the day for cooling. While during the winter they don't run much and the propane heat is going around the clock. So humidity is lower.

Tony

Hi,

I do have the impression light levels are one of the factors for number of active pitchers of N. inermis. I got two plants last year and both do sit in the same terrarium under similar conditions. The plant with a single functional pitcher is placed in a very bright spot while the other one with three functional pitchers is placed in a much shadier place. They are different clones and the plant with more pitchers is also slightly smaller, which also may cause the difference.

Joachim

Back