What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes hanging basket

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Does anyone have there Nepenthes in a hanging basket and using coconut fiber mats for the liner? I would like to plant mine in a hanging basket with a coconut fiber mat, but I thought I read somewhere, where someone said something about salts in the mat. What do you people think, would the mat be harmful to a Nepenthes planted in it?

I have some hanging baskets that use coconut fiber lining, and I haven't seen any problems. You might want to soak the lining in distilled water to remove any salts just in case.

Jœl

I keep some of my neps in hanging baskets, but I use pure long fiber sphagnum moss. I've never used the coconut husks so i don't know anything about that medium. However, I'm very happy with the sphagnum moss in my pots. It's easy to work with, especially when repotting. Only problem is it can be somewhat difficult to locate. Also, I don't know which soil drains faster; husks or moss. I grow my neps outdoors so for me, I need the extra humidity that moss seems to provide my plants.

Good growin'
Joel

I've used sphagnum and coco fiber for lining baskets, and I prefer the coco fiber simply because it lasts longer in my shadehouse than sphagnum; after a few months, the sphagnum just starts to fall to pieces, while the coco fiber stays the same. The only problem that I've found with coco fiber is that birds like it for making nests and promptly take any pieces from the top of the basket. A layer of sphagnum on top of the basket covering the coco fiber seems to control the problem.

Jœl

I'm with mindmanze
biggrin.gif
I also hang lots of my plants on baskets with the coco fiber and nothing has happened to them for now. True, I can't deny that the birds are muking me with their nests but it's nothing serious
tounge.gif

Thanks for the help everyone.

mindmaze128,
I looked at your pictures and a few of the hanging baskets you had your neps in look just like the basket I bought. I ran some disstilled water thru the mat 1st. I then placed some lfs on the bottom, then a mix of peat moss, a little perlite, and a little lfs. Then a thin layer of lfs over the top of the soil. I did not want to disturb my nep so I took all the soil out of it's pot and placed it into my basket carefully.

Also,
I placed some lfs in a small rubbermaid container to try to get it to grow. I noticed some small sprouts of something, I'm pretty sure it's not the lfs growing. I have some lfs in an orchid I grow and the moss itself has several green areas on it, not looking anything like these sprouts. I placed some of the small sprouts in it's own pot to see what I get.
biggrin.gif

Back