What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My nepethes Gubblers

• Thread starter timbudtwo
  • Start date

timbudtwo

Shoopdawoop
itsn't she wonderful?

nepenthes gubblers 1.gif

nepenthes gubblers 2.gif

THAT LOOKS LIKE N. VENTRICOSA!
Anyone else agree?

Yours looks much different from the ones i've seen. Most of them looks like RamPuppy's.

Here is a photo, the pitcher of it is on the right.
carn1.jpg

Rampuppy's xGubler (the red one).
raff&Homedepot.JPG

These 2 above look the same except the other one is purple. Probably because it's older.

Excellent picture tim!
smile.gif
The plant looks similar to my ventrata, albeit smaller. It looks like it's very happy with you.  Keep up the good work.

BTW: Nice parrot, is it guarding your plant?
wink.gif
I have a few green martians protecting my N bicalcarata from all the birds around here.

Joel

Statik2426: I'm not sure whom the pictures are from (Rampuppy?) and I don't know if the colour of your pictures represent the plant's colours exact - but judging from the picture on my monitor the smaller nepenthes on your second picture is VERY low on nutrients. If it isn't already already done I would suggest try feeding the pitchers. The yellow colour on the older leafes won't disappear but the new ones should get bright green.

Joachim

Thats Rampuppies Rafflesiana.. Probably lighting from the flash. My camera does that. I doubt Ram has any dying plants.

Here's my theory on unknown nepenthes, whether they be from Gubler's or Little Pot of Horrors: These plants are packaged and produced in an area of Florida where most of the horticultural businesses in the state are located. One of the mass market producers of nepenthes is located here and, not surprisingly, their cp show up a lot of the pots and terrariums sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. They only produce a small number of nepenthes, so the options from Gubler's and Little Pot are limited. The most common nepenthes being produced are ventricosa, xJudith Finn, and alata/ventrata (the TCer has a few strains of alata, at least two of which are actually ventrata). The point is, most of the 'unknowns' are probably one of these. That helps to narrow things down a bit.

The second pic to me just looks like a nep in high light levels.

That Nep you have there Tim, is either N. x Ventrata or pure N.Ventriocsa which I think it is.

The Gubler's Nep I have is more simialar to the timbudtwo's, only the peristome and lid are different. The peristome is ridged, and a little bit coloured, dripping with nectar, and the lid is raised, and very raff like.

Hi Tim

I believe my (very first) nep is a Gublers as well...I believe from Lowes...I can't remember. I have been told it is most likely a ventricosa.

Mine is a bit over a year old. It stayed very small all summer until I put it in this terrarium and brought it inside. Then it took off! It now has 15 pitchers (including the little tiny ones from last year that are still alive). It will soon need a new home.

Here is my baby...

ventri5-31-02RS.jpg

And here is just a photo tip for anyone who cares. A lot of people don't realize that a photo off a digital camera can be as wide 17-24" or larger (physical size) depending on what resolution setting you are using. That large a resolution is intended for *PRINTING* purposes, not the internet. IF possible, it is better to resize the photo down to a smaller width (6-8") both for ease of viewing (no scrolling!) and for much faster file downloads. Not everybody has DSL. Most digital cameras come with a basic image editing program where you can resize your photo. I always keep one high-res image for printing and one lower res for the internet. Just a suggestion!

Suzanne

this should be moved to the identify plant forum

Back