What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello all,

I just got my first N. campanulata.  I have read that this species is easy to grow but I wanted to ask about a few of its requirements.  I am growing it in a terrarium I set up just for this nep (this ones coming to college with me
smile.gif
).  It is recieving very bright light, and about a constant 85 degrees (F) and near 100% humidity.  I have it planted in a mix of pure live sphagnum and orchid bark with some charcoal bits (3:1:1).

Are these good conditions for this nep?  Should I try to lower the humidity a little? (right now there is a constant condensation on the glass and at night the leaves of the nep get condensation on them as well)

minitank.jpg

Right now it is pretty small, I am excited to see its first pitchers.  I usually sway toward growing the highlanders but this is one lowlander I just had to have.
smile.gif

Thanks for your help,
Matt

Matt that setup and soil mix sounds fine to me, and is what I will be doing when my N. campanulata arrives in May.

The only thing I wonder is what that kind of light is that you're using? I can't tell from the picture.

Also, do you have a waterpump under all that water? You don't need to waste all that space just to provide high humidity a 1-2" deep pool under the false bottom will do fine and give you more vertical growing space.
smile.gif

Good luck with it keep us updated on how your plant does, it's one I've wanted for a long time!

N. campanulata is a very easy plant to grow -- in fact, some would say that it is weedy. Overall, your conditions sound fine; however, you might try a more well drained compost. This plant prefers a cliff-side habitat, so in the wild its compost is very well drained. Mine does quite well in a 1:1 mix of peat and perlite.

This one is a trouble maker for me, but my problem may be getting it to survive the hardships of being mailed to me.
Jeff certainly knows what he is talking about. Your compost is more drained than what Malesiana sends it in(LF sphagnum), so I would watch it and see what it does.
Would the cliffside habitats be that well-drained? Do the plants just stick to the rock, or do they grow in cracks? I was just wondering if the little surface area inside the cracks would cause a lower evaporation rate. Just curious. With the genus as a whole, when in doubt, go for more drainage.

regards,

Joe

Hi All,

Thanks for everyone's help. Josh, the light I have is a 35 watt circular fluorescent bulb inside a metal reflector. Also, I do have a pump in the water to water the plant when Im away. The plant did come in long fiber sphagnum so my mix should be a little more drained than that but I may repot it in the future in a more well drained mix as Jeff said. Im glad to hear that this one is easy, even weedy!

Thanks,
Matt

Back