What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basal shoots - crazy growth

Cindy

Staff member
Hehe...This is my gracilis...I posted the first photo here 4 months ago
smile.gif

gracilis7reduced.jpg

gracilis8.jpg

Btw, there's still more basal shoots coming out.  
biggrin.gif
 I really believe that by removing one or two basal shoots, the plant will put out more!

Well, at least for this particular plant.  I'm always tempted to remove the basal shoots to get new plants. And so far, I've only lost about two.  The basal shoots root very easily in water.

WOW
wow.gif
wow.gif

Cindy,
Do you treat your basal shoots with rooting hormone when you attempt to root them in water? My Gracilis has two grow points, and I was concidering removing one and attempting to root it. I have been successful with cuttings, but I wasn't sure if the shoots should be treated the same way.

That crazy. Thats a lot of basal shoots. My Tobica has 3 basal shoots.
wink.gif
But you have a lot.
biggrin.gif

Very nice Cindy!
smile.gif

schloaty, gracilis is very easy to root form cuttings, and even easier when you utilize a rooting hormone. I have had 100% strike rates with this species in blended sphagnum. (I have a junky old blender that I chop my soils up in, the nepenthes love blended sphagnum...so lite and fluffy, roots take in it very nice)

NG,
I guess I didn't ask my question correctly....In order to take the basal shoot as a cutting, do I just break it off and treat like a normal cutting? Do I need to make the cut a diagonal cut like a regular cutting (does it matter)?
I have successfully rooted N. Gracillis cuttings, but I was wondering if you treat the basal shoots any differently.

A basal shoot already has roots, unpot the plant and separare them.
smile.gif
(i'm pretty sure basal shoots have their own root system)

If the shoot is on the old brown stem, then I'd let it grow out a few inches and cut it.

With the shoots coming out of the soil (basal shoots) they have very little roots system from what I've observed on my gracilis, but these are very young still. I still say let them grow out, I have accidently broken a basal shoot off an ampullaria and I did root in in pure peat...very slow growing though as it was establishing it's root system.

There is an old trick to rooting shoot that I will describe here, for what it's worth. Cut a wedge out of the base of the shoot about 1 half inch away from where it attaches to the stem. Cut the wedge about 1 half through at a 45 degree angle so it looks like you've cut out a wedge of cheese. Put a small rock or something in the wound, and cover it with soil, in this case the same medium you've used for the main plant. Within a short time you should have root.

This is probably more trouble than it's worth for easy to root species.

WOW Cindy!
wow.gif
I've never seen anything like it! It's Crazy!
tounge.gif
But, do all plants do that?
confused.gif

My Gosh, that is crasey. How did you get it to grow so fast? I've had my N. Ventricosa since december and it's top speed is 1 leaf and piture every 1.5 weeks. Is it the spiecies or are you a Nep god?

sad.gif
 Considering the number of lowland neps that died in my hands when I live in the perfect conditions for lowlands...

I am ashamed to admit that it's just that gracilis.  That only one gracilis that grows like mad...

And it was cheap...shhh...don't let it hear this...  
wink.gif

Back