What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes rajah

Hi,

I started a new topic (it would be a bit displaced in the N. madagscariensis topic)...

In what conditions do you grow your Nepenthes rajah and how fast does it grow ?

mine :
night : 16°C (60F) and ~90% humidity
day : 25°C (77F) and ~ 75% humidity (sometimes humidity drops)

I grow it in a terrarium behind an east facing window (morning sun) and also use artificial light (70W high-pressure sodium light).

Substrat is mostly a orchid-mix with some sand

I have mine now for 10 months and it grew from about 5cm in diameter to about 7cm in diameter (but size didn't increase during the last months)
It has about 3 green leafes and 2 pitchers (2cm) at the same time. It produced several additional plants .I separated 2 of them some months ago but it has 3 new small plantlets now.

would be interesting to hear about other growing conditions and growth rates...

Martin

I grow mine ( Martin envy's my Rajah's size
smile.gif
) in a 20 gallon terrarium.

Temps:
Day: 70-85F ( 20-25C)
Night: Always in the 50 degree range F ( 10 C )

Humidity:
Day: 80-100%
Night: Always a saturated 100% so water is covered on the leaves in the morning.

Soil- 100% Pure Living Sphagnum moss.

Light- 1 15 watt fluorescent light about 1 foot away from it.

It is about 4 and a half inches in diameter sporting hlaf of and inch pitchers. It has already grown 3 new leaves (going on 4 new ones) since February ( Middle of February). And has 3 new pitchers developing. I personally think it is quite fast and should be considered an easy plant with the proper environment. Here is an update on the pictures from February and since today. Enjoy!
smile.gif

8763152-a0da-01600120-.jpg

This is when it first came outta the box in Feb.

9328798-8e86-01600120-.jpg

Here it is as of today, you can see the new leaf emerging and 2 red pitcher. One is to the lower left of the plant and the other is up by the upper right hand corner below the white hygrowmeter's edge.

(Edited by nepenthes gracilis at 5
wow.gif
0 pm on April 1, 2002)

They 're babies!!!
I LOVE baby plants!!!

At the last Los Angeles CP society I got to see a 10 year old rajah that had pitchers no more than 3in.
Apparently, some of the nepenthes growers there mentioned that N.rajah does not produce huge pitchers as seen in the wild if they do not receive cool daytime temperatures and nighttime temperatures in the lower 50's year-round.

That is what my range is! 55 at night since Feb. so that is good and it gets in the high 60-lower70's in the day. I should have made myself clearer on day time temps I mentioned in my previous post. I meant that 85F being the highest temperature it has ever gotten in there. But the average now (that has been recorded by my thermomter record keeping one) is 68.9F for an average over 1 month. That is what it says at least.
smile.gif
Maby I am on the right track and could somtime soon have some 1 inch pitchers! :cheesy:

Yes Static, that is who I bought it from!
smile.gif
My good friend Michael Catalani. I do like his Nepenthes care section! Lots and lots of info if your stuck and don't know what to do.

Hello,

I do appreciate NG experiences and I am very intersted in the further developement of his plant. Please keep us informed on a regular base!

My experiences do match more the experiences Martin has made. I do grow my N. rajah for 3,5 years now. I got it from another source than Martin and possibly my plant is grown from seed and not from TC. It is in fact very slow and has increased from 1.5cm diameter to about 12cm (leaf rosette) in that time. It does produce a new leave about every eight weeks. From my experience N. rajah needs big pots because it developes a bigger root system than most other Nepenthes. The plant does get direct sunlight half of the day at an east facing window and night temperatures do drop considerably but not as low as in NGs setup.

Some time ago I had asked a similar question on the ICPS list and Johannes Marabin wrote his plant from TC (Wistuba) reached 20cm in three years - and then the problems seem to unfold: after seven years it had an diameter of 1.5m and a height of 60cm...

Joachim

Yes I have in my eyes and Catlani's eyes an "ideal" setup. I also have very cool air circulating around in there at night and an ultrasonic humidifier which saturates it. So it is nice! I have it planted in Living Sphagnum which keeps humidity VERY high at all times around it if the level fluncuates during the day. But I will keep you informed on all this.

Have you tried feeding it at all? Looks to me like it's in need of nitrogen as you can see the youngest leaf has good color and as they progress to the oldest leaf they get paler green/yellow
Tony

Hmm.......I agree with Tony. I assume you have tried or have fed it before for benificallity. ( No such word
smile.gif
) But I feed mine even with it's tiny 1.5 cm tall pitchers. Yours are a brilliant color! I love it! BTW, I have returned from my vacation from Florida and my Rajah put out 1 new open pitcher and 1 ready to open and 2 new developing ones.
smile.gif

Back