What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something I may regret

I am not sure if it was smart but I tossed my Nep ventricosa in the garbage. I have a shoot coming out of the side, so I still have a nep ventricosa. I also took a cutting off the original nep ventricosa and stuck it in a 3 inch pot. The nep was way too big and was not producing pitchers because the air was to dry. I suppose I could have traded the cutting but...
confused.gif
I am thinking of getting a bigger tank next year. A 15 or 20 gallon would be nice. Back to the cutting I stuck it in some sphagnum moss and the moss is in an inch of water. Will that do or any better ideas? If the cutting survives, I was planning on giving it to my sister (she is a science teacher in OR).

Travis
confused.gif

TOO BIG?!!

Run, get the garbage! Now!

Read up on making cuttings, put them all in small pots and keep the humidity up in a trash bag if you have to.

HEY, I don't have a Ventricosa. Stick a section in the mail and I'll pay shipping and even root it!! NEVER throw CPs out!!!

I'm serious!

SF

Will see if I can. It has been two days since I have thrown away the nep ventricosa.

Thank you for trying! I hope it is a successful hunt, though it will be a tad dirty!

SF

I was just kidding, obviously. But, it is true that long vines with no pitchers make great fodder for cuttings and tiny TC plants -- with pitchers -- if you bump the humidity. The same vine with no pitchers, if cut, might just throw out five tiny ones right away off a cutting if the conditions are changed for the better.

Also you should be able to fit the little cutting plants into something much easier than the long vine, which I will grant you can be a real pain.

Another thing is that you should never get rid of a nicely rooted plant, because no matter how far you cut it back, it has a great chance of making new growth.

Beagle, I found the nep ventricosa. It is still in good shape and I wrapped it in moist pappertowel. Thanks for your info it is truely helpfull.
smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Also you should be able to fit the little cutting plants into something much easier than the long vine, which I will grant you can be a real pain.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I hear you there! I only have a 10 gallon tank and it was just to happy taking over my other plants. So I gave it the boot about 4 months ago and it only has produced one pitcher and a shoot (thank goodness&#33
wink.gif

Travis
alien.gif

Eventually neps will outgrow just about anything. They are the biggest carnivores by far. There are some small ones like bellii, among others. There is a thread on that around here right now.

When you cut the plant that will only put your space problems off another month or so. Cuz, then, hopefully, the cuttings will start to grow a lot also. So, really, your "problem" will get bigger. But not right away. A cutting won't make a long vine any time soon.

There are lots of threads around about cuttings. Good luck!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Travis @ Oct. 17 2003,10:O5)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">............ was not producing pitchers because the air was too dry.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I suspect there is more to it than dry air causing your lack of pitchers.  This is one of my five N. ventricosa that I transplanted today (It's now in a 6½" pot instead of a 2"x3" pot
rolleyes.gif
).  As you can see on the hygrometer/thermometer in front of it, the humidity is low (27%) and this is a typical daytime reading for me.  Does yours get a temp drop at night?  Mine drop from the mid/upper 70°F range to the upper 60°F.

DSCF0006.JPG

alien.gif

My ventricosa has been living in the lap of luxury: 85ish during the day.  70ish at night.  60% humidity (lows), 100% (often) as the high.  Every night the humidity gets over 90%.  

Thanks, weather.  Today it's FREEZING, it dropped below 70 just before sunrise.  BRRRR!

you think that is cold i have to get up and be at a bus stop at 650 and the sun isnt up yet or just barely rising. i read a few days ago 32 degrees F

Wow, i'm glad that drama ended happily, with the "little" orphaned nep being adopted by the big, kind CPer.

You know, 15 gal aquarium tanks are really cheap. Not as cheap as 10 gallons, mind you ($12 at the local Petco), but cheap. Check out garage sales and the local craigslist.org, and you might even find a BIG aquarium tank for cheap.

Alternatively, spend $20 on acrylic and a tube of acrylic cement, and if you've got more manual dexterity and handiness than i (quite likely), make yourself a big, custom tank like the one somebody else just made here, and you can have it the shape you want with good ventilation.

I found a $20 18 gallon aquarium at petsmart. The lid added an extra 15 dollars though, and the lights were around $8. So I guess it cost 43 bucks total.
wink.gif

Back