What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bicalcarata

here it is I like it and you?
bical.jpg

arie

OMG, is that yours?!?!?

LOOKS SO NICE@!!!!!!!!!!

i want one !

Arie,
Nice pic, what variant of bical is that, do not think I have seen a green based version. Hope all is well..

Cheers,

it's a typical bical
I think that the green base is as it was expose to low light condition wholr growing.
arie

arie,
Thanks, you sure it isn't a red flush? Looks more like the red flushes I have if I took out the under orange and replaced it with green. I'll try to get a picture up. If it isn't the same I can try to get you a cutting soon.

Cheers,

Nice Bicalcarata Arie! It's looking very menacing!
smile.gif
I'll post 2 pics of mine as well. It only has one picher right now, and a tiny one at that, but it has a nice red coloration and the next one is shaping up to be a doozie!
smile.gif
Here it is.

lo_N_bicalcarata_p1_a.jpg

From another angle.

lo_N_bicalcarata_p1_b.jpg

I'll be sure to post a pic of the new pitcher when it comes up!
smile.gif

Joel

Arie, that is just gorgeous!

Hey all, tell me how you are growing your bicals,

everything from soil and soil depth to humidity and light.

I have mine in my terrarium, and it's just slow as a pig, even my merilliana outgrows it! what am I doing wrong?

It is possible they suffered root damage in shipping, I have two, one tiny one that barely holds on, and the larger one is just slow.. it's been about 5 months I think since I got them, and the larger one has three or four new leaves, while the smaller one puts up a new one just as the older one dies.

Larger one is sheltered a bit by the Ventricosa X Maxima, I am willing to move either plant a bit to get it more light if neccessary, if you look at the pictures I posted, you can't see the bical, but it is nestled between the ven x max and the stone outcropping in the center of the tank.

the smaller one is behind my raff in full light, could that be the problem? it's soil is also a bit more shallow, but being further from the center it maintains a very nice moist soil, not waterlogged or anything like that.

HUmidity is almost always near 100%. and a Fan kicks on several times a day to stir the air.

RamPuppy, here's some info on bicals... INFO.

I'm hoping to get one soon.

I used to keep mine in my standard Nepenthes mix, but I had read somewhere that they are usually found growing in LF sphagnum in the wild so I changed the mix to 100% LF sphagnum. I think that shocked it a little, and it slowed down for about a month, but It's growing well again, and the newest pitcher is starting to get big now. I keep it with all of my other lowland Neps outside, so I don't think that I can give you much help there. Temp range is in the 76-87F range (low 80s in the day high 70s at night)  with humidity in the 70-100% range (higher during the night). I have it on the bottom shelf next to my ampullaria mirabilis and Coccinea, so it gets more shade than my other plants. That's basically it. I treat it like the others basically.

Joel

Bicalcarata although able to take somewhat cool conditions for short periods, its growth rate is reduced sharply. They grow in lowland peat bogs.. hot and humid.
Tony

Your merrilliana outgrows it???!!!! Wow! Something is wrong! I think ya need to raise your temps. BTW, my new Merrilliana from PFT Thanks guys! Is doing great! New leave already and it looks like a pitcher may form! I can't wait! My other Merrilliana that was doing REALLY bad lok as though it may come back! It is very nice having postive results now!

hmmm...

well, I am starting to think it is the temperatures... I always figured that 4 48" tubes was offering sufficient heat. Perhaps not.

Also, the plant that is under the ven x max seems to be doing better than the one in bright light... I wonder if it's getting so much?

I have an old aquarium heater that I can stick in water to raise the temperatures... I guess that is what is going wrong. perhaps I will make an attempt at rectifying htis later this week.

I am getting a new N. ALbomarginata from tony in, so this i think, is my plan.

I am going to go out to my parents property and get some more shale (Doesn't release minerals into the tank) and increase the size of the mountain I hide my ultrasonic in, I am also going to start building some little pots into it, for sundews and such. On the bottom of the mountain, I am going to put int he tank heater with a tub of water, higher up, I am going to have the humidifier, so it's mist will travel down the mountain, hopefully i can create channels to direct it. This will obviously be a larger project, so It will take a while..
I will post pics when I am done.

i ordered a bical on saturday

mindmaze did you get it from michael catalani?

the place where the plants live in the jungle? i got mine from the jungle place along woith N. tobaica

:biggrin:

if you got from there too, did it com in a pot and with what mix?

Catalani sends all his plants bare root in Sphagnum moss. They are not badly shocked when you get them IMO anyways. You see how my Truncata and Rajah adapted from him. And Grow Bicalcarata in a nice roomy pot for it I would say a 8-10 incher right now and make the soil pure Sphagnum or Peat and Sphagnum Or pure peat and a little perlite like 80-20 ratio.

OMG I THOUGHT THEY CAME IN POTS@!!!!!!!!!!

could i use a orchid basket of 6" for my bical and line it with LFS then for the mix make it schultz sphaghnum peat moss/perlite?

could i do the same with the tobaica? or will tobaica need like 8" or will both of em need 8"

but how coem i saw u get ur rajah in a pot?
confused.gif

you know, the orchid baskets the hanging ones, with wood gap wood gap, then it has the 4 silver things on the ends to hang em up, id like to hang the bical

and when do you think ill get em? i ordered it saturday, i duno how long it takes for him to get the plant out then it says 2-3 days shipping.

so i think i should have it by this comin saturdya?

Stefano

I got mine from Michael Hunt. It was shipped in a pot and had HUGE pitchers... Which I sadly destroyed.
sad.gif
I also almost killed the plant trying to get rid of the "scale insects" that were in fact the sugar glands :eek: DOH!!! I don't think that you should put the bicalc in a hanging basket, since  they grow (according to what I have read) in very wet conditions in nature. I think a hanging basket would dry out too quickly for it unless you water it regularly and don't forget. You could put it in a plastic hanging basket though, which would't let the soil dry out too quickly. I used to have it in my regular Nep mix, but I have since put it in 100% sphagnum, and it seems to be doing better in that anyway (my opinion anyway; I can't verify that experimentaly) The tobaica I think would do well in a wood basket (from the little that I have read about it). Just don't forget to use the superthive before you pot your new neps up!
smile.gif

Joel

BTW: Stefano, My N gracilis 'nigrapurpurea' (it has purple pitchers) has just put out two basal shoots, so in a couple of months I might have some of it to trade for a tobaica cutting. Just thought you might want to know that.
wink.gif

hmm yea sure, i never heard of that nep

i heard tobaica grows REALLY fast!

i promised nepG to give him a cutting when i take them, im sure i can get one to you too
smile.gif

ahh the gracilis nigrapurpurea

didnt read the whole thing

is it this kind??

nep-gra1.jpg

is that what it is? when i get the tobaica ill surely trade you one after i send nepG a cutting then i may send one to phill and jaie

could i put the bical in something like yours? the wire basket with the plastic wraped and the orchid fiber or some thign whatever it is liked around it, when you buy it ug get the basket and that liner stuf and can i plant it in there?

Back