What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. pervillei

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I picked one of these up from a friend and about all I can find on it is that Wistuba says it is "difficult." Is there anyone out there with some more concrete growing suggestions/conditions/experience?

Yepper...

Sorry I can't offer much since I don't have alot of experience with it. Only to say that they reallllyyy HATE highland conditions ;> The one I have in my lowland grow chamber seems happy so far.
Tony

Thanks Tony, anything helps.

So they are ultra picky like bicals? Probably want to keep them above 60. That should be easy, I just hope they enjoy mid 90's cause that is what my sunroom is getting now.

Hy Pyro:

I agree with Tony 300%. If you look at a previous thread (in identification of nepenthes by me) you'll find useful comments there. The seychelle island where this plant comes from, the average temp is 75 F and it never goes below 65 F. Therefore it loves a moderate constant temperature.

Gus

Thanks Gus,

I have found a little information myself from a gentleman who has been growing the plant for the last decade. He indicated that the island is nearly stable around the year at 28 - 32 centigrade and that his cultivated plants get between 25 and 37-40 during the day and down to 15 during the night in summer. In winter he says it is around 12 low and 18-28 during the day. Definitly seems to like it hot.

I have also heard a rumor that it might like it a little drier than typical and this is information that I will investigate further.

I thought I'd put this info in here for anyone interested. These are emails I recieved from 2 individuals who have been growing this plant for 10 years or so.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have N. pervillei in my collection since 1990, when a tiny seedling (4 cm diameter) from the Botanical Garden Essen (Germany) arrived. 1992 we took a trip to the Seychelles to produce a video on the pitcher plants. From our Mountain guide we received some seeds from the Morne Seychelloise (on Mahé), which germinated very good, and now - 10 years after germination - the plants start to produce the many meters long vines from a basal rosette. Every 30 to 60 centimeter new rosettes (25-35 cm diameter) appear, carrying
now the typical amphora-shaped pitchers, hold upright by a small tendrill near the end of the leave. The clones from top of Morne Seychelloise (> 1000 m, Neps from ca. 500 m) are more robust and produce bigger pitchers, than those of the other growing site on Mahé Mount Copolla (approx 800 m, Neps from ca. 350 m). However, the last site is much easier to reach. For the higher Morne Seychelloise a guide is recommended, as the way can be slippery and dangerous.

The Seychelles are placed just a little beside the equator and temperatures are nearly stable around the year (28 - 32 centigrade at the coast). The mountains are frequently clowdy or misty, but when the sun comes through, also in >600 m its getting hot. On our visit, clouds and heavy rain for
minutes changed all half an hour into blue sky with burning sun and reverse. With clouds the temperature lay around 22-24 at the site, during misty nights, also 12 degrees are possible. My plants grow together with lowland species in a greenhouse. During summer the dayly temp. in centigrade is between 25 and 37-40 during the day, can be 15 during the night. In winter its around 12 low and 18-28 during the day. A
sprinkler (using deionized water) is installed (and heating in winter) and to avoid mould a strong fan is running at daytime. The plants love direct sun, however, the basal rosettes frequently place their lower pitchers on long tendrills into Sphagnum (or withering leaves), where they grow totally
submerged, getting dark red to violett in color.

In my opinion N. pervillei is easy to grow if you have the base knowledge wich is necessary to grow pitcherplants. I like this unique western species very much and hope I could help you to keep yours alive.

The plant reacts positive on Orchid fertilizer (quater-half concentration as mentioned), from March to April all 2-3 weeks. More can be dangerous, but its recommended to feed the pitchers with insects (or dried bloodworms). In nature, many birds at the habitat do their duty to fertilize :-)).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think you should try it under dry conditions and give a plenty of light. I grow my plants at the the southern exposed part of my greenhouse in nearly full sun and they look very good. Thier roots seen to be not tolerant for overwatering, maybe because they grow only between rocks
at their natural habit I think, when exspecially N.truncata does well, the climate should be OK for this species.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Pyro:

your post is very interesting and I was wondering if you can ask this gentleman if there is someone growing the pervillei variety that grows around 100 meters. Maybe they might have tried adjusting it to highland conditions?. It is a shame that such a beautiful plant only grows in hot weather!!. So I am imagining it growing in cold weather too. Thanks

Agustin

Agustin,

I would think a plant from 100m would still be classified as a lowlander. Both of these growers are in Germany so t can be grown in 'colder' environments, you just need a greenhouse or something.

Back