Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cantley's red, first pic: post your new baby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very pretty N. ampullaria! Color looks odd for 'Cantley's Red'

New babies? o hmm ....lots of new babies [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New baby: N. Mastersiana purpurea.

Maybe the 'Cantley's Red' is a little less intense if grown on the shady side?

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a Cantley's Red..........

http://www.borneoexotics.com/Species%20Data/amp.htm

I will let you decide.* My other one is the larger pic, "var. rubra."

*"Speckled" But if I'm wrong, I let you decide!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trent,

The pitchers are much brighter now than they were.

I keep mentioning our weather conditions in a lot of posts, I know, because I don't want the powers-that-be to get mad at me for taking unjust credit.

We've had that diffuse light and ultra-high humidity that we get sometimes. In 1998 or 1999, without a greenhouse, nothing carnivorous would have survived outside in Florida, anywhere: prolonged drought.

Now, with the weather, I put a lowlander outside: the leaves get waxy and colorful. Spotting goes away immediately. The pitchers get bigger and more colorful. I am smart enough to know good lowland conditions now. For that I deserve a bit of credit. Having them out the back door all the time, OTOH...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with you on that. Where we are located east of I-95 in Boca Raton, there has been no rain for two weeks until yesterday. The "cistern" was bone dry, and the RO unit running 24/7. Yet, a mile and half west of our place it rained nearly every day. It was frustrating to stand next to our thirsty Sarracenias in blazing sun looking west at huge, dark thunderheads and lightning. We were constantly misting in the greenhouse. My wife Michelle spent every afternoon last week rationing RO water. This morning at 7, with last nights rain, the greenhouse was in the low 70's F and humidity at 90%, I could see the Nepenthes breathing a sigh of relief. You can feel it on your skin: that proper "condition" Nepenthes enjoy.
    I'm sure as the 'Cantley's Red' gains some size, the pitchers will be deeply colored and take on that heavy texture.

Trent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gee, there has been alot of rain here! (Several miles west of Trent&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] Hehehe! Almost every morning it sprinkled, but never really poured until last night.

My new babies (still to arrive) are a N. Sanguinea 'Red' and N. Ventricosa. Not impressive, but I'm getting there!

SF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (SnowyFalcon @ Sep. 26 2003,12:29)
    My new babies (still to arrive) are a N. Sanguinea 'Red' and N. Ventricosa. Not impressive, but I'm getting there!

SF[/QUOTE]
    Not impressive? Hehe, I like your new babies. Let me know how the sanguinea grows for you, i've recently become interested in the orange form myself.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think when you can get a plant properly tweaked, if you know what I mean, they are all really "impressive." Rafflesiana are not super 'spensive plants, but based on the photos of big pitchers, they can be QUITE impressive -- just to name one of many. Sanguinea and ventricosa are plenty beautiful. That's one thing about pitchers, there is no shortage of beauty to go around.

I do like the red amps though. Since I'm limiting myself to lowland until I can properly do a highland habitat, it seemed like a logical way to go. If roses are beautiful, which they are, how about a rose-colored plant that will eat bugs?

Trent,

You could not be more right about the "nep feeling." It's like a warm, but not hot, towel in the face every morning. We've had morning rain, afternoon rain, evening rain, you name it. The last month +, I'm feelin' it!

9. Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast