Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cantley's red, first pic: post your new baby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure looks alot different than the picture you linked to on Borneo Exotics. I also had the original N. ampullaria Cantley's red and have several new clones of red N. ampullaria. Even under low light (2 40 watt fluorescent bulbs with no supplimental sunlight) they still get a nearly solid red flush of color instead of that speckled look.

Did you buy it as N. ampullaria 'Cantley's Red'?

So no need for folks to get all defensive but looking at that picture it looks nothing like any red clone N. ampullaria I have seen. I am hoping I am wrong and Beagle will post a super blood red pitcher picture in a few months. But right now I feel he was taken by another nursery passing off a plant as something it isn't and knowing how expensive red N. ampullaria clones are.. that would really upset me.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

the clone of Beagle is an nice plant, but it doesn't look like N. ampullaria 'Cantley's red'. Grown under low light levels (a single 20W compact fluorescent bulb) pitchers should look like this:

(Click on the picture to get a bigger version.)

Cheers Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wanted a N. cantley's red, but my pocketbook never allowed me to get one. *sigh* [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] maybe in the near future
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Awesome ampullaria! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] That's one of my most wanted ampullarias including the tricolor ampullaria.

My new babies are gonna be an n. rafflesiana gigantea, an adult n. x cantleyi (not exactly a baby huh? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] ) , an n. madagascarensis, and a n. northiana [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joachim,

?Maybe? I can clear this up.

The picture I posted is a Cantley's Red "speckled." I breathe CO2 on it, just to be sure (if you know what I mean). Trop cher, $, denero, etc. Well, a decent sized palm tree would cost more, but...

The rubra I mentioned is another plant that I haven't photographed because I want some new pitchers to see what the colors will look like. It is the one featured in the big Borneo Exotic photo. And, I think, is what you have.

The ones on my rubra look a lot like your pitchers + shipping shock, followed by a major light increase. Inconsistent would be a good word. It looks like soon I'll have a few new, really red, pitchers a lot like yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no such thing as N. ampullaria 'Cantley's Red' speckled. The picture Joachim posted and the form your calling 'rubra' is 'Cantley's Red'.
    (Technically it is called N. Cantley's Red according to the ICPS)

Here is the official description:
    ""But undoubtedly the most magnificient form is one recently discovered in a jungle in Brunei, North Borneo, by Robert Cantley. What appeared to be a group of toadstools from a distance proved on closer inspection to be a colony of [Nepenthes ampullaria {Jack}], the pitchers of which differed from all others in being of brilliant crimson-scarlet sparingly mottled in green. To my mind this is one of the most exciting and beautiful [Nepenthes {L.}] introductions of recent years. It is of one clone, and its discoverer has kindly allowed me to identify it with the varietal name of [Nepenthes ' Cantley's Red ' {Hort.Slack}] (see overleaf)." "

It is a very pretty speckled N. ampullaria but it is not N. Cantley's Red (unless it was grown under some very odd cultural condtions and is not looking as it should).

Tony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony,

"It is a very pretty speckled N. ampullaria but it is not N. Cantley's Red (unless it was grown under some very odd cultural condtions and is not looking as it should)."

It was sold to me as a Cantley's Red. It still has the little stake saying "Cantley's Red." The pitchers are all ones that survived shipping. They brightened at first -- after shipping -- but have faded some and might be dying, finally. There is new growth on the way.

Of course, if there is no plant that I think I bought, that is not a good sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Beagle @ Sep. 26 2003,8:23)
    It was sold to me as a Cantley's Red. It still has the little stake saying "Cantley's Red."[/QUOTE]
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img] This was my concern all along. That you paid for a very expensive N. ampullaria that is not correctly labelled either by mistake or deliberately. I also feel it necessary to speak up when I see something not right, so mislabelled plants are not spread further. I hope you understand and don't hold anything against me.

I really hope I am wrong and the plant starts producing pitchers like the one in Joachims image. If it doesn't I at least hope you can get a refund!

Keep us posted on what happens.
    Tony

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast