What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cantley's red, first pic: post your new baby

Joachim,

?Maybe? I can clear this up.

The picture I posted is a Cantley's Red "speckled." I breathe CO2 on it, just to be sure (if you know what I mean). Trop cher, $, denero, etc. Well, a decent sized palm tree would cost more, but...

The rubra I mentioned is another plant that I haven't photographed because I want some new pitchers to see what the colors will look like. It is the one featured in the big Borneo Exotic photo. And, I think, is what you have.

The ones on my rubra look a lot like your pitchers + shipping shock, followed by a major light increase. Inconsistent would be a good word. It looks like soon I'll have a few new, really red, pitchers a lot like yours.

There is no such thing as N. ampullaria 'Cantley's Red' speckled. The picture Joachim posted and the form your calling 'rubra' is 'Cantley's Red'.
(Technically it is called N. Cantley's Red according to the ICPS)

Here is the official description:
""But undoubtedly the most magnificient form is one recently discovered in a jungle in Brunei, North Borneo, by Robert Cantley. What appeared to be a group of toadstools from a distance proved on closer inspection to be a colony of [Nepenthes ampullaria {Jack}], the pitchers of which differed from all others in being of brilliant crimson-scarlet sparingly mottled in green. To my mind this is one of the most exciting and beautiful [Nepenthes {L.}] introductions of recent years. It is of one clone, and its discoverer has kindly allowed me to identify it with the varietal name of [Nepenthes ' Cantley's Red ' {Hort.Slack}] (see overleaf)." "

It is a very pretty speckled N. ampullaria but it is not N. Cantley's Red (unless it was grown under some very odd cultural condtions and is not looking as it should).

Tony

Tony,

"It is a very pretty speckled N. ampullaria but it is not N. Cantley's Red (unless it was grown under some very odd cultural condtions and is not looking as it should)."

It was sold to me as a Cantley's Red. It still has the little stake saying "Cantley's Red." The pitchers are all ones that survived shipping. They brightened at first -- after shipping -- but have faded some and might be dying, finally. There is new growth on the way.

Of course, if there is no plant that I think I bought, that is not a good sign.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Beagle @ Sep. 26 2003,8:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It was sold to me as a Cantley's Red.  It still has the little stake saying "Cantley's Red."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
sad.gif
  This was my concern all along.  That you paid for a very expensive N. ampullaria that is not correctly labelled either by mistake or deliberately.  I also feel it necessary to speak up when I see something not right, so mislabelled plants are not spread further.  I hope you understand and don't hold anything against me.  

I really hope I am wrong and the plant starts producing pitchers like the one in Joachims image.  If it doesn't I at least hope you can get a refund!

Keep us posted on what happens.
Tony

Beagle:

You have a nice plant, but i guess the senior members of this forum are right. So try to get the real Cantley's red or your money back. It is infuriating when pseudo-nepenthes growers try to swindle you.

Gus

It is probably a tricolor ampullaria.  That is what it looks like after going here: http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Nepenthes.html  

It's a great place for photos.  

That is still a rare plant, based on what I've seen.  

CORRECTION:It was sold to me as a "Cantley's Red Tricolor."

I get confused because he also sold me a real "speckled amupllaria."

Well, either it's a cross, or I was misrepresented to.  Here's the deal, it's not a small enterprise.  You would know.  I don't want to jump to conclusions.

I like the plant, but accurate labeling is sort of important.

Well I sure hope it turns out to be N. ampullaria 'Tricolor'  (note it is not Cantley's red tricolor since there is no such thing.)  I don't know where you got it but if you would like to PM me your source and costs I will be happy to continue this conversation more privately.  I am certainly not trying to accuse anyone of misdeeds but all I have to go on is my first hand experience with the N. ampullaria in question and the photo you posted.  And right now it doesn't match N. Cantley's Red OR N. ampullaria Tricolor.

It is possible your plant is N. ampullaria Tricolor with lousy color because of cultural conditions.  I am still skeptical though.  I am most interested in seeing pictures of future pitchers.
Tony

(Maybe the labels got mixed up somehow and the picture you posted is of the speckled one and not Cantley's Red or Tricolor?)

For reference here is a picture of N. ampullaria Tricolor
Namp_BETricCR.jpg

I think it is a kick *** plant, so in my opinion screw the refund just get it correctly labeled!
smile.gif
Pardon my language

Hi,

please be careful condamning a seller prior to giving him a chance to clarify the situation!

We've seen some errors made by accident which were discussed on this forum. You might search for N. clipeata, N. faizaliana or N. argentii for example. A good seller will always replace the plant or refund the money in case he made a mistake!

Cheers Joachim

I have a original Cantley's and it looks similar to Joachim's, in a West window that does not get much direct sun.
I have to say, though, that Beagle's plant is remarkable still. I have never seen a speckled amp with that kind of base pitcher color. I would not mind know ing where you got it, if you would PM me.

Regards,

Joe

My bad. I posted before I saw the second page of posts. That is a tricolor? I would think it still should be redder, as a cantley's would.
It still looks like something new to me.

Joe

That looks like a N. ampullaria 'tricolor' to me.  They can go that way if they have been overfertilized or kept in the wrong light levels.

It can't be a Cantley's red because it doidn't look like a toadstool to me at first glance  
tounge.gif

Most of the red N. ampullaria in cultivation at present isn't of the same clone as Cantley's red which tend to have more green on them and the pitchers also tend to be a different shape.

Rob

Those pitchers survived shipping and have brightened and faded already. *Cue Final Jeopardy music*

Still waiting for the new pitcher to get mature. They look like faded tricolor pitchers to me.

OTOH, when I'm growing lowlanders: pretty good. Knowing what they are: needs work. (OK, a lot of work)

Will photo the Cantley's Red when the wind dies down. Could be days, based on the last two.

Dear Beagle:

One suggestion: When Rob Cantley says that it is not Cantley's red, Very good chances are that it is not. If I were you, i would have a word or two with the salesman!!

Gus

Gotcha.

I'm talking about a different plant that I have not photographed yet. It's still windy and raining, by the way. It's ark building time.

To be clear, I took a pic. of a "tricolor" in post #1 of this thread and will photograph a real, honest to goodness -- unless I'm wrong, which for once I won't be -- Cantley's Red.

While I'm at it, my nep grow list now consists of:

5 small Raffs, two bicalcarata (one S, one M) one Cantley's Red (M/L), 2 speckled amps (one S, one L), one tricolor (see above, I'd call it S/M), one S bellii, one vetchii "typical" (S), three big Miranda (which look a lot like N. x mixta in Savage Garden), two big ventrata, and finally about 20 rooted cuttings becoming ventrata.

Everything is pretty new, being a newb.  

I bought three four tier covered grow racks from Northern Tool and Eq.  Hope it's OK to post this.  I thought it was a good deal.    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp....OTOS=on

(in Minn-e-soo-tah
biggrin.gif
).  I probably will get a couple more.  Cheap, tough, easy to assemble once you develop a procedure using angles for leverage.  No tools required.  Once it's pounded together, it feels solid.  I bought the cheap greenhouse also if the need arises.

Forgot the coccinea (L) and ventricosa (S).

So, anyway, it could stop raining any day now...

Needless to say, since Borneo posted, now I'm feeling the heat.  I promised that just this once I'd get it right.  Eh, here goes.  This pitcher has a bruise, and has faded a bit, but at least it sits still in the wind and rain.    
crp.jpg

That is the biggest pitcher. If that's not a Cantley's Red I'll hold my breath until I turn green and grow a third eye.  
alien.gif

Beagle:

You've got a beautiful plant!!. It looks like the real thing bro!!.

Good on you and congrats.

Gus

Sorry, Beagle, didn't mean to put on any heat there, merely commenting.

The latest photo you posted sure is a red N. ampullaria. No argument there. There are nearly 50 clones of red N. ampullaria in circulation now and it could be any of them. Or it may be of the same clone as the original "Cantley's red", Either way it looks good!
smile.gif

Back