What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes sp. doorman's top #2

After waiting about six months I think my N. Doorman's Top has finally acclimated and is doing nice enough to photograph. (Notice the N. aristolochioides x thorellii and N. arostolochioides pitchers in the same shot.)
doormanstop10-03.jpg

I received the plant back in May or so as a 3-4 cm rosette. Now it's roughly 8 cm in diameter with 3.5 cm pitchers which also color up in good light.
doormansstop-pitcher1003.jpg

It isn't known what this plant is exactly, but rumor is it may be N. papuana. In Flora Malesiana #15 the description states "pitchers ovoid in the lower parts, gradually narrowed towards the mouth...peristome cylindrical, with outter edge entire, inner surface curiously toothed." Here I show an extreme close up of the inner surface of the peristome which is serrated and the outter/upper surface smooth. But the pitcher, lid and peristome description also fits young N. lamii too.
doormansstop-peristome.jpg

Hi Swords:

Is the Doorman's top #2 the same as Nep spec B or Nep Veitchii Mt pagan??..

Gus

hello,
Im not much of a nep expert but that is a really cool plant! Thanks for sharing
smile.gif
Kevin

Neat pitcher, or is it neat picture? Probably both! LOL!

I love the slightly rustic look the pitcher has, can't wait to see it when it's producing mature pitchers!

SF

Hi Guys,

No, unfortunately it's not species B, "veitchii x fusca" or "n. mollis" or any of those.

Seeds of Doorman's Top #1 & #2 (the above is #2 -#1 is still "on it's way" but it is much larger, red and shaped like an inverted teardrop) were collected in Irian Jaya (western Papua New Guinea) at different altitudes of the same mountain.

I do not know if the Lower pitchers will evolve much more other than doubling/tripling in size as this is a small and generally unexciting species (no weird shapes or colors) with only photos of upper pitchers known from the wild so far. The picture below is from Andreas Wistubas site and shows the upper pitcher:

neuguinea20010163.jpg

Back