What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just ordered a Nepenthes ventricosa

Hey everyone! The addiction is slowly setting in! I just placed my order for a N. ventricosa, and D. spatulata. Any tips on growing these bad boys  
mad.gif
. My spatulata will be going in my 5 gallon tank, was wondering if the N. ventricosa could live outside of a tank, im not sure of thier humidity requirments. Thanks! (And yeh, i ordered from PFT  
biggrin.gif
 )

Excellent Myke!! With regards to the ventricosa, it depends on your average humidity where you live. If you can provide 50% or higher on average, it should do fine. N. ventricosa is a very hardy and easygoing nepenthes. My three pitcher like crazy in open air in my house in San Francisco, but our humidity is usually pretty high.

Capslock

You could leave the N. Ventricosa outside the tank. I mean I have 4 N. Ventricosa along my windowsill and their pitchering wonderfully.

Should the humidity 65% be okay for any nepenthes?

Some Nepenthes require humidity above 80% in order to pitcher. I have a small N. campanulata that has had problems with its pitchers during humidity drop. They turn black and die. At this point, I have started to mist more often to keep the humidity levels above 85% and the plant has now kept a pitcher for 2 weeks. When the humidity levels dropped below 70% but higher than 65%, the pitchers on my N. campanulata died soon after opening.

Mike,
I think you will find that N. ventricosa is a pretty hardy Nepenthes.  Here is a pic I took of mine a few hours after I had transplanted it into this pot from one of those little 2"x3" pots.  The pic is 10 days old now and the humidity is all the way up to 30%!
wink.gif
 Also, the 3 new pitchers have opened.

DSCF0006.JPG

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Oct. 27 2003,8:41)]The pic is 10 days old now and the humidity is all the way up to 30%!
wink.gif
 Also, the 3 new pitchers have opened.
Get out! How is that possible? Were do you keep your ventricosa? Must get a lot of light some how? My humidity is highier than that and would never produce pitchers like that...WOW! Very nice, BCK!

Travis

Travis,
It is sitting in a south facing bay window along with some of my other CPs. The browned leaves are from earlier this summer. Too much sun, too quick, and too little water in the tray
sad.gif
. It got sorta crispied.

Enjoy. I have two huge ventrata and several smaller ventricosa. They are seemingly trouble free for nepenthes. They both catch more than their share of bugs in Florida. Based on checking pitchers some mornings when I mist, they are pigs sometimes.

BigCarnovourKid is growing something that will soon eat him, I'm pretty sure. My ventricosa pitchers don't grow in that shape. I'd be careful around that plant.
tounge.gif

Do you see the really nice red pitcher (top) about to open that appears to be facing us if you look at the bottom, but sideways at the top? Um, am I seeing that right?

Wow, that is a really nice looking plant. I live in South Jersey so the its not always very humid here. Im planning on growing under a grow light i have set up for all my CP's, so it will get around 14-18hours a day of light. I hope mine will sometime turn out that yours, thats a beaute!
laugh.gif

Thanks guys, but the plant deserves most of the credit. By all rights it should have gone to that CP home in the sky after getting fried this summer. I'm suprised that it pulled through this well.
biggrin.gif

I don't have a digital camera otherwise I would show you my alata...I bought it from home Depo(a killing ground for Cp's and orchids) and it was all of three inches across....2 years later its 20 inches across and has just started putting out 2 new growth points form its base!
tounge.gif
Just think of all the new picthers!
laugh.gif
Just think of all the new victims it will take..
biggrin.gif
...just think of how I found it in that cursed Home Depo
mad.gif
dehydrated and cramped in a little 3 inch cup....

Nep came in today. Looks great, cant wait for it to get a lil' bigger =)

Back