What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For quite a number of months, my merriliana and my northiana aren't increasing in size....
They're supposed to be easy growers I know....
ghostface.gif

All the other Neps in this lowland tank grow really well (bical, rafflesiana, belii, truncata, longifolia, adnata, ampullaria, mirabilis) (I currently grow almost 40 different Nep species)
It shouldn't be the light, because my system has worked really well for years. The humidity level is about 90 %.

Should I maybe repot them ?

To people who grow these species : what medium do you use ?
(I can get coco fibers, peat, sphagnum moss, perlite, ceramis...)

Hi David,
Your problems are probably not the potting mix. For growing northiana, check out the article in the CP Newsletter from summer of 2003. Northiana can be picky, but it seems more of a consistent humidity problem than growing mix. I posted here a little while ago about a friend who had a northiana growing beautifully next to the mist propagation bench. The plant was constantly getting the overspray. When the plant was moved, it went down hill. Putting it back where it got the regular misting resulted in a pitcher producing happy plant.
We have several merriliana in our greenhouse and they are slow but steady. Use a well draining mix. We add extra aliflor (little clay pellets) to standard mix and overpot. Merriliana has a large, deep root system, so give them lots of room. We've found that it is a little sensitive to cold. If you use a growing chamber, this should not be a problem. As for light levels: northiana likes shade, merriliana likes the norm-not too bright, not too shady.
Hope this is helpful.

Trent

Hi Dave,
I agree about the merrilliana (don't grow northiana, so can't help you there). It's slow, but steady. I've had mine for several months. It's put out several leaves, but hasn't really increased in overall diameter. They really do need that deep pot. I have my 4" or 5" diameter plant in a 4" pot, but it's 10" deep. My mix, incidently, is roughly 50% LFS, 30% orchid mix, 20% pete. Roughly.

David,
My N. northiana grows well but it doesn't increase in actual diameter rapidly. I've had it for over a year and it only went from 4" to 14" in diameter but it has continually produced leaves and pitchers about one every 4 weeks or so, it just does not have the dramatic size incrases that other plants do. I have mine in a too-small pot as well which may be effecting the size increases/further growth.

Mine is simply potted in pure LFS, a few handfuls of small diameter orchid bark and some horticultural charcoal. Now the top portion is alive and growing over the pot and the Neps roots have decided that the living sphagnum is best so the mound of living sphagnum is filled with fine N. northiana roots.

I can't make any comment on N. merilliana as it was due in my next Nep shipment. Which has been delayed a second time now, until Spring 2004...
mad.gif

Hi David,

I am from Malaysia. So, in theory, growing N. northiana here should be a piece of cake. Not so, in fact northiana and campanulata are one of my slowest growing plants. Northiana must be a slow grower. It is the only plant I received from MT back in March without any pitcher. Even N. lowii came with small pitchers. Anyway, N. northiana has increased 50% in size since I had it.

Choong

N. northiana is an easy grow but no so easy pitcherer. Seems it me it likes quite a deal of shade as stated earlier and a great deal of humidity, thus the reaction of the plan to this misting system as Trent observed. I would have all my Nepenthes in my greenhouse if I had a heated enclosure which will be debated over the long winter up here
wink.gif

N. merrilliana is a difficult plant that would be touted as "tricky" if I could describe it's cultivation. Seems it needs an EXTREMELY deep pot to grow well. My plant is in a 1 gallon nursury pot and roots are already being seen at the bottom of the pot about 1 and a half years after repotting it. I think I might as well plant it in a 3 ft deep pipe!

Hello David,

I'm sorry to hear that your N. northiana and N. merrilliana are not doing as well as you'd like. Since I've enjoyed some success with both of these species, perhaps I can offer some suggestions.

Regarding the former species, what is your temperature range? Also, are you feeding this plant? Although it is distasteful, I feel that feeding is truly essential for successful cultivation of some Nepenthes considered difficult to grow. Personally, I doubt that your choice of compost is the problem.

As for the latter species, have you tried using laterite granules in its compost? I think that you will enjoy more profound (and colorful) growth if you do. Also, be sure to feed!

Best of luck to you!

Thanks for all the answers  
biggrin.gif

I'll repot them in a deeper pot with a more draining mix ! ( I think their growth has stopped because the mix was old and not draining enough.... too wet)

I don't think the temperature is a problem either, 'cause, I have quite typical lowland conditions and... all others seem to grow well !

I haven't been fertilizing them, but I have started some tests (with a foliar fertilizer rich in oligo-element : "Vitalisant pour plantes" by Hauert)
I'm trying also "the milk feeding method" on some other plants  
tounge.gif

I'll try to find a mysting system (if it doesn't cost to much money
wink.gif
)  But, my humidity is already constantly at 90% or above !?!

Questions :
What are these "laterite granules" ?
What is meant by LFS ?  I'm a non native speaker hahahaha
tounge.gif

LFS= Long Fibered Sphagnum moss... sorry!
smile.gif

Over here laterite is found in small, expensive boxes at fish and aquarium stores. It's a rocky, clay-like substance high in iron. It is used primarily for planting aquatic plants in aquariums, though I don't know the advantage for aquarium plants besides it doesn't break down much.
I had some with merriliana and it seemed to like it. I put in a portion with a standard peat/bark/charcoal mix.
Isn't lava rock also a little high in iron? Not suggesting it a s a sub, but just curious.

Regards,

Joe

Back